Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

When attempting to email to a Distribution list I get the Outlook

Customer Question

When attempting to email to a Distribution list I get the Outlook error message "An internal support function returned an error".
Setting up the distribution list afresh makes no difference.
Any ideas please?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Are you using Outlook 2007, 2010 or 2013?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's 2007 Jess

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Richard,

Thank you for writing back. How many people did you add in your DL? This error is related to a member in the DL that you added. This problem occurs when you add an email address in the DL without adding it to your Contacts first.

Please try to create a NEW DL, then add members and make sure that you select the member FROM the Contacts, do not reply or do not pick the members from the autocomplete list.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Jess I'll give that a try - they are only short dl s.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** please give it a try and let me know if the problem is gone after properly adding members to your DL.

Please let me know your results so that I can assist you further.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jess, thank you. Inputting the individual recipient firsts and single contacts and then rebuilding the DL by selecting those individuals works fine.

It seems to mean that one can't compose a dl by using the "Add New" feature.

Thanks again.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Richard,

Thank you for writing back and I am glad that you are now able to use a DL by manually adding the members. Yes, the issue you reported is associated with contacts added through the Add New feature as it can sometimes add duplicate names with different email address.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess