IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

My computer continues to be very slow first hour of

My computer continues to be very slow for the first hour of using
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Please tell me which Windows version you are using, and when the computer first started to operate slowly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Windows 7 About 5 months

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi! Have you tried to disable startup programs and startup services?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Did that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

third question: I suspect I may have more than one antivirus software system running. Can you advice me how to check this. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it did help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried disabling it this morning for the first time.

Do i leave them disabled?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
All anti-virus programs start themselves at computer startup, and once started, you can see their icon in the notification area - bottom right corner, near the clock. So, check all icons there.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
You can disable only those programs that you don't use, or don't want to start automatically.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
You can always start a particular program manually, but make sure to leave anti-virus program to start automatically.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help.

The i7 does need a tune in some way to further improve its performance.

I have had it since 2010. Can you please advice on measures I can take to improve its speed further.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
First, uninstall programs that you don't use. To do that, go to Control Panel and click on "Uninstall a program". Go through every program there on the list and uninstall the ones that you don't use any more. You can also uninstall those you don't recognize. After that, check which programs have been added to the Windows startup. You can use the built-in "msconfig" to do that, or you can install a program such as Startup Manager (LINK). Check the startup programs and un-check (remove) those that you don't want to automatically start. That should speed up the computer. Another suggestion would be to check the disk for errors: 1. Double-click the Computer icon to see all your drives (C:, D:, etc)2. Locate your first disk (C:), right-click it and select Properties3. Click on the Tools tab and under Error-checking section, click the Check now... button4. There check both check-boxes and click Start6. Repeat the procedure for other drives, for example D:, E: etc (if you have several disk drives)7. After that, restart your computer and the selected drives will be checked for errors prior starting Windows again. Just don't press anything and leave the process to finish. It could take up to 20 minutes.When it is done, it should start Windows faster. However, if the computer is several years old, and you still use the original hard disk drive, then the hard disk could be the cause of the problem, especially if there is dust around it.You can disconnect the hard disk and blow the dust and clean its connectors. Re-connect it and check if Windows will load any faster. I hope this suggestions help.
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional