Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I have a word document on my MacBook desktop, but when I

Customer Question

I have a word document on my MacBook desktop, but when I click on it, it will not open. A message says "problems of file name might contain invalid characters and I cant open it and don't know what to do

Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your Word file issue. Can you send me this problem file? You can try to attach it here when you reply using the paper clip icon. Or you can upload it to this site then give me the short download link:http://filesXpress.comPlease let me know so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not very IT savvy and cant do this ....the message I get is in my above question

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for writing back and I am very sorry about your persisting issue.Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check and fix the problem while you watch?Remote access is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee ($15) regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.Please let me know if you want this remote option.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no I dont want a remote access

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I respect your decision. Can you please try to rename that file to a simple file name or a one-word file name?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how should I do this?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Rename a file selecting it (to select is to click it) and hitting the 'return' key. Just click on the icon of the file from the OS X Finder, and then hit the return key, then type in the new name.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll try that!

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Yes please give it a try and when the file is renamed with a one-word filename, please test if the file opens successfully.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Where do I find OSX Finder ....I clicked on the file icon and the box came up with the message "problems os file name might contain invalid characters" ...but the file didn't open

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, please go to this website:http://filesXpress.comThen click and drag that problem Word file and drop it in the website's file box.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll try!

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, is your MS Word file named "PETER’S DETAILS.docx"?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

YES!

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that confirmation. So indeed this is an issue with your file name. Your MS Word is preventing you from opening files with the apostrophe ( ' ) so you need to rename it to PETER DETAILS.docx instead of PETER’S DETAILS.docx. Can you rename it? I rename the file for you, you can download it here:http://filesxpress.com/d-bc4c3942Download it and your MS Word shall open that file without any issue. In the future, please do not use the forbidden characters in your file name. Among the forbidden characters are " ' \ | / < > { } [ ] << >>.I hope that helped.Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.Thank you!Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried to open the download and it wont open and I get the same problem message???

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Can you please confirm that the file you are trying to open is the one that you recently downloaded, the one WITHOUT the apostrophe character in the file name?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes ...it has the new name but still wont open

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
I am very sorry about that. This time, please try to open MS Word first. Then click on File => Open and then navigate to the location of the newly downloaded file and then open it from MS Word.Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

will try that

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Yes please take your time and let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It doesnt work ....there is a red X on top of the download in the top bar and I cant drag it into the new word open document

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
No, you do not need to drag the downloaded file to the open blank Word document. You need to "navigate" to the location of the downloaded file and then select it and open it from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I am going to have to find someone who can do it with me in person, so I will leave it for now. Please would you ensure the document you dealt with is deleted, it is personal information Thank you

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I can request for deletion of the file you uploaded.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you also ensure that the £26 taken on my credit card is refunded.

Many thanks for your help, anyway!

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
I respect your decision to not to continue with this question. Since we guarantee our service, yes you can request a refund.Here is the information on refunding:http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund