IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I updated to windows 10 recently and when I try to log on I

I updated to windows 10 recently and when I try to log on I get the critical error message regarding start menu and cortana and can not use my laptop. I have tried some of the suggestions on the web and nothing works what can I do?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

It looks like the upgrade didn't go well.

Have you tried to access the built-int repair options?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I wouldn't know how to do that!

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
I can provide the instructions for you. Let me know if you are able to access the logon screen.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can access the log on screen

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
OK, good. Since the upgrade didn't go well, I suggest refreshing the current Windows 10 installation. That should solve the problem you described. Here is how to proceed: 1. First, go to the Windows 10 logon screen2. Once you see the logon screen, do not select your user name or type anything, but look in the bottom right corner of the logon screen. You should see 3 icons. If you don't see any icons, then just click anywhere on the logon picture and then check again3. Click on the power icon and then press and hold down the Shift key, and while still holding, click on Restart4. Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Choose an option screen5. On that screen, click on Troubleshoot6. On the next screen, click on Reset this PC7. On the next screen, click on Keep my files8. The computer will restart. Follow the instructions to proceed with the reset. It will take about 10 minutes9. When done, log in to your account and check the results
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nearly there; but just got a message to log-in followed by a reset PC message. It says that the reset will remove all apps and programs that didn't come with the PC but maintains personal files. Will I have to load all my programs again?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Any thoughts on my question

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Hi again!Sorry for the delay - I had to step away from the computer. Yes, the reset will uninstall all programs that didn't come with the PC. Unfortunately, you cannot choose to leave the programs installed.If the reset helped solve the original problem, you can go ahead and re-install the programs that were uninstalled.Should you require assistance with that, I am here to help you further.Regards,IT Miro
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All working Ok

Thanks for your help

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Hi again!

I am glad it is working!

Hopefully, you won't experience the same problem again.

Before you leave, please take a moment to rate my help to you using the rating box (smiley faces).

Thanks,
IT Miro