Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I have downloaded Windows 10 and it has been absolutely confused

Customer Question

I have downloaded Windows 10 and it has been absolutely confused the start button does not work. the system will not accept my microsoft identity. Fortunately the Win 7 is still functional
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues. Did you upgrade to Windows 10 successfully? Or did you just download it but have not performed the upgrade yet?Please let me know so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not, so far as I am aware, succeeded in an upgrade. I can only reach email through Win 7 and Google the same.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for writing back with that information. When you restart your computer now, is it starting your Windows 7? or Windows 10 already?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On switch on the Win10 display screen comes up one mouse click and the 10 password ***** appears and accepts the password. Then the Win7 screen comes up with a few symbols on the lower task bar including the Win10 start symbol; this is silent on left click but on the right shows a list of functions including Edge but on clicking this a very limited display appears with no tiles(these were there when I first started this process)

Hope this helps.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Are you using the problem PC now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sitting at it. Tell me what to do.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, please check the actual OS running now. If it is Win7 or Win10. Locate "This PC" or "Computer" and right click on it then click on Properties.You will see there if you are running Win7 or Win10
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cannot find specific details. But it seems to be Win10 so, I cannot find properties. I will now try again

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, please give it another try. The procedures should be the same for Win10 and Win7: Right-click on "Computer" or "My Computer" then click on Properties.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no sign of "computer" anywhere in the limited range of things I can examine. I have the whole state of Win10 and opening the file boxes there is a large collection of downloaded parts of Win10 in the past 5 days but nowhere properties. I have been through every title brought up by right click on the start menu (left is silent) and nowhere can I find properties.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
What happens when you press the Windows key in your keyboard? (The key with the Windows logo)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The windows key (bottom left) is silent on left click but produces a simple list on right click programmes/ system/ computer management/ shut down and more

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Did you press the Windows key in your keyboard?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh! Will do now

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have now pressed the win key on the keyboard and nothing has happened

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
If you are using that problem PC now, can I remotely access it so that I can directly check and fix the problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes! would be delighted. What do I do?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
For me to remote in, we need a remote access tool. Please follow the steps below to join me in the remote session. 1. Please click on this link:http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=346e08d8-1038-4b54-944f-39a7962003762. In that page, please click on the green I Agree button3. Then download the remote tool when prompted.4. Run the downloaded remote tool to join me in the remote session. I will be waiting for you there.Thank you. If you are stuck in any of the steps, please let me know so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Alan,
Thank you for patiently waiting. The issue has been fixed through remote support. Your Start button now is working but allow Windows 10 to populate it as you continue to use your computer.
I hope that helped.
Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!
Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.
Best regards,
Jess