Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Am running Windows 8.1. Had notification to upgradeto Windows 10

Customer Question

Am running Windows 8.1. Had notification to upgradeto Windows 10. It has run the updates but nothing but I can't instal. Help.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
What exactly happens now when you start the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Windows icon on the right hand side tlls me that my upgrade to Windows 10 is ready to download so I click on it and get the information panel and click the updates. I have run these updates several times and they are completed, but nothing happens when I click on upload. I am still rather a novice and don't know what I am doing wrong or not doing.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Pamela.
Can you do the following please.
Press the windows key + R and type in
MSCONFIG and press enter.
Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"
Then click Disable All
Click ok, restart and let me know if you can now perform the upgrade.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If I click on the right hand windows icon it will want to update again which takes ages as that is the only way I can get it back on the screen.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, but can you do the instructions I gave please Pamela?
I repeated them below again
Press the windows key + R and type in
MSCONFIG and press enter.
Then click Disable All
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard,

It didn't work. I was unable to Disable All and then the PC started running the updates again and then shut down. Only just realised that I could contact you vie my email. Pamela

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, can you do the following please
Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then try to update.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard

I am giving up.None of the solutions worked and, in fact,the last set of instructions corrupted the laptop and have only now got it working again. I am afraid that you have not been able to help me Thank you for trying and I hope that I may be refunded the cost.

Pamela

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
The last set of instructions is a system file repair within windows, if it corrupted the system it means you had a major issue on your computer that needs to be addressed and resolved. It has nothing to do with the command itself.
Its a pity you are quiting with such an issue on your computer, but anyway as you wish I have processed this for a refund.