Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

I was used in a scam on sat and have lost all my photos help

Customer Question

i was used in a scam on sat and have lost all my photos help no one answers on microsoft support tel no
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Can you explain what happened a little more please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have an Asus laptop with microsoft software. I received a phonecall from supposedly microsoft to say i had a few bugs that needed fixing. I know i did have a few bugs so foolishly went along with it. They knew all about my computer as i did ask a few questions as wondered why they were ringing me!

After they managed to convince me they were microsoft i followed their instructions. By pressing the four square sign and R they asked me to type in Team ViewerQS.exe and then Show my PC3101.exe. I then became even more suspicious and refused to do anything else resulting in them putting the phone down on me. They had said i was due a return of £200 from microsoft because of my problems and this is when I realised they were bogus! Of course they needed my bank details to send me the £200.

My computer seems absolutely fine but I have lost all my photos. On desktop they still are on slide show so i am sure they are still in the system but cant access them. When I go to photos and press on a file it says file dosent exist?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for explaining that. Microsoft will never call you unsolicited like that. If it ever happens again report them to ic3.gov which is the internet crime complaint center. As for right now have you tried doing a system restore to before that happened yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im not very computer literate. How do I do a system restore?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
No problem I can walk you through it. I just need to know what version of windows you have. If you are not sure open any folder. Then on the left you will either see computer or this pc. Right click on that and in the right click menu choose properties. The window that opens will say what version you have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

windows 8.1

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Move the mouse to the bottom right corner and a pane will open.
In that pane near the top click on search, now type in restore.

Click on system restore in the list.
In the window that opens click the option that says restore to an earlier date (or you will have a check box that says show earlier restore points).

Choose a date at least one day before this happened and let the computer restore.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
System restore is not in list
Refresh pic without affecting files
Remove everything and reinstall windows
Restore files with file history
Create a restore point
Change your homepage
Recovery
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Open create a restore point.
Then click on system restore.
Do not create one it should give you the option to choose a date/restore as well:

The System Restore window, with Next circled in red
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did and went through process.
End result was system restore failed while scanning the file system on the drive C:\
The drive might be corrupt. You might want to retry system restore after running chkdsk/R on this disc . Also says u can try advanced recovery method?? How do I do either of above ?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
We can do chkdsk first.
Open the search like you did before and type in cmd.

Now right click on command prompt in the list.
Even if you are one choose run as administrator.

In the black box that opens type in chkdsk /r
Make sure both the space and slash are there then press enter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Says
Access denied as u do not have sufficient privileges. U have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
That comes up if you skip the part I mentioned right clicking for.
Please repeat the steps making sure to right click and choose run as administrator like I mentioned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The same thing happened.
I type cmd in search and right click command prompt and black box comes up right away. If I type in cmd and command prompt comes up on top but below is cmd run as administrator . I click on that and black box comes up. Same thing happens
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Type CMD in the search do not press enter.
Right click on command prompt and in the right click menu choose run as administrator.
If you press enter it will come up without being admin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't press enter. Right click on command prompt and it goes straight to black box
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
That should only happen if you are left clicking, right clicking will open a menu.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I right clicked but didn't work. Told u computer illiterate. My daughter managed too now comes up with
The type of file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would u like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Please type in Y and press enter.
Then restart the computer, as it is starting up it will run the chkdsk.
You can get back to me by going to justanswer.co.uk and clicking on my questions at the top of the page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The computer is scanning and repairing drive (C): but has been stuck on 13% complete for almost an hour?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
It can take a while, let it continue please it taking a long time meaqns it is attempting to repair something it found wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

System restore was successful. I made the date 15th August as it was sat 16th when it happened. Unfortunately my pictures are still not back. When i go to pixs the folders come up with the appropriate name. When i click on any of them it says there are no files or folders in this view.

help!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
There is only one other thing we can try and that is a program meant for recovering deleted pictures. However if it does not find them it would unfortunately mean they are lost and we would not be able to get them back.

Download and install recuva from here: Click Here
Choose priform under the free version.

Click next and then choose pictures and click next again.
Choose your computer, the pictures folder if you can if not the C drive should work.
Put a check in the box that says enable deep scan and then click on start.

If anything at all can be recovered this will find it.
If it does not find anything unfortunately although I wish you could you will not be able to recover anything.

If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or what you are able to recover.