Cynt
Cynt, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have a BA in Computer Information Technology and have been in the computer field for over 14 years.
20109878

How do I sync my PC with my mobile phone

Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Cynt replied 2 years ago.
What kind of phone do you have?
Expert:  Cynt replied 2 years ago.
I think I see that you have another question open. Please do not open another question that still pertains to this one. Please answer in this box for the same question. What kind of Nokia phone do you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Two day's ago you asked what kind of phone I have. It's a Nokia 520. Sorry for the delay in responding - I've been away from my PC.

Expert:  Cynt replied 2 years ago.
To sync with your Nokia 520 you will need what is called a windows phone app. You can get it from here: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-GB/How-to/wp8/windows-phone-app-for-desktop and sync your pc to your phone including all files and outlook.
You can also connect your phone to your pc by a usb cord and then go into outlook and click on sync and go from there.
What I did was get the outlook connector app and install it on the phone and then sync that away.
You can also do it this way: Go to settings>email+accounts>then manually sync your Microsoft account.
There is also something called a AKRutoSync that you can get on your apps and sync outlook with that but after a trail period it does cost to have it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I've installed the windows phone app on my desktop. The app now seems to want me to connect the PC and phone using a USB cord.

I'll let you know how I get on in a day or so.

Expert:  Cynt replied 2 years ago.
Great, keep me posted please by replying to reply box.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2844991#bookmark-importcsv

The above web site says I can't use a USB cable to sync contacts from Outlook on your computer to your Windows Phone.

It would seem that the windows phone app allows me to sync: music, photos, video, podcasts and ringtones, but not contacts and diary held in Outlook.

I have gone through the above web site several times and have eventually succeeded in syncing contacts, but the whole process has left me very confused.

Expert:  Cynt replied 2 years ago.
Which method did you use as far as syncing? I used the windows phone app and it let me sync. Did you try the AKRutoSync? Once you sync everything then you can go into your setting a do a manual sync or let it sync automatically. Syncing a Nokia is a little different then syncing samsung or iphones etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

To sync my contacts, I followed the instructions set out in

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2844991

It worked for Windows 8, Outlook 2013 and for an email account that is not on an exchange. It was, I think, a manual sync.

The other part of the problem is to sync my calendar from Outlook on my PC to my Nokia phone. I've tried to use the following website

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2459660

BUT if you scroll down the page you will see under Outlook 2013 that it refers to contacts rather than calendar.

Nevertheless, I tried to replicate the actions I used for syncing contacts; I created a CSV file for my calendar and tried to import it into the following website.

https://bay04.calendar.live.com/calendar/import.aspx?mkt=en-GB and received an error message:

"There's a problem with the ICS file you're trying to add. Something may have gone wrong when the file was originally exported. You may want to re-export the file and try again".

What am I doing incorrectly?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm a little confused having just received a request to rate your service.

My query has always had two elements; syncing my contacts and syncing my calendar. Syncing contacts has been resolved, but syncing calendar remains outstanding. I sent an extensive reply yesterday at 18.08 EST and am waiting your reply.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have not received your comments to my reply dated 26 August at 18.08 EST.

Expert:  Cynt replied 2 years ago.
I am so sorry. For some reason I just got your reply. I never received it when you sent it. Once again please excuse me for not seeing what you typed. Open up your Microsoft Outlook on your phone. Then click on File, add account, click on email account under auto account setup, type in your name, your email address to your outlook and then your password. Then click on next. Outlook will search for any accounts with that name and email on it.
Expert:  Cynt replied 2 years ago.
Please keep me posted. I will make sure I speak to the site and let them know your reply did not show up when it was suppose to. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If I'm following your instructions correctly, then my phone is saying that my email account already exists and it will not allow me to go further. I still can't syn my calendar.

I'm going to arrange for my existing email account to be deleted from my phone. I will then go through the process of re-establishing my email account on my phone and then I will try to syn contacts and calendar to the new set up on my phone. I'm going to do this on the assumption that the original set up was incomplete. This will, believe it or not, take a few days.

In the meantime, suppose you were to speak to Microsoft and ask them to update their website https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2459660 so that it reflects Calendar sync throughout instead of reverting to contacts half way down the screen.

Expert:  Cynt replied 2 years ago.
I understand. Some phones are easier to sync with Microsoft Office then others. They have a lot of basic instructions to follow for phones.