Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Have downloaded microsoft 10, cannot retrieve e.mail windows

Have downloaded microsoft 10, cannot retrieve e.mail windows live mail, can you advise?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you please do the following.
Press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (Admin)
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
Press enter
Let this complete (can take about 30 minutes) then restart the computer and then try to retrieve emails.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Windows key +x? Please explain.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The windows key has the windows logo on it, you will see it to the left of the ALT key on the keyboard.
Then press X with this.
Let me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm afraid I've not found an access to command prompt

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You need to press the windows key on the Key board and X at the same time Lawrence, then you click on Command Prompt (Admin).
But you need to first press the windows key (The windows key has the windows logo on it, you will see it to the left of the ALT key on the keyboard.) then with it held down, X
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Scan complete, found some corrupt files but was unable to correct all.

Is there any further instructions? I have not retried e-mail yet.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, restart the computer and then try emailing.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No joy I'm afraid, on top of which I've lost my wifi, in order to send you this message I've had to connect to my router with an ethernet cable.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, if it said Scan complete, found some corrupt files but was unable to correct all. then there are some serious issues on the hard disk which is the cause for this initial problem and the wifi issue.
What we did was a system check which tried to fix this.
I want you to do the following.
You need to press the windows key on the Key board and X at the same time , then you click on Command Prompt (Admin).
Type in
chkdsk /f
Press enter
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then tell me if it sends and receives and connects to wifi.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still no joy, i've had to use the ethernet cable again in order to contact you. and of course no email.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me the error you get when you try to connect to your wifi network please Lawrence?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, It says it cannot detect a wifi connection. I have entered the network name, however, it will not allow me to enter the password.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Open Command Prompt (Admin) again and type in the below
netsh winsock reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset netshlog.txt
Then restart the Laptop and check if it now can connect to the wifi
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, I hope you have another solution, this one didn't work either.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Press the windows key + R and type in
ncpa.cpl
Press enter.
Then right click on wireless connection and select connect
Tell me what you then see in the list please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The wireless system name was recognised and it asked for the password ***** i duly entered, the response was that it was unable to

connect to the network. I had been into the settings prior to this only to receive the same response.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, before you indicated no password ***** being asked, so this is good.
Whats the make and model of your wifi router?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is one of Talktalk's own, it's called a super router with a model no 0678

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
On the back of it is a reset button.
You may need a paperclip, and with this push the reset button in for 10 seconds, then release.
Wait 5 minutes, restart the computer.
Press the windows key + R and type in
ncpa.cpl
Press enter.
Then try to connect.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, it's not playing your game. Perhaps the best thing to do is to use the recovery disc and restore it to its original settings.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
This is the next step Lawrence, but we do not do it via the disks, but via the inbuilt menu as this will keep your files (programs you will need to reinstall again).
To do this,
Restart the computer and on the log in screen, hold down the SHIFT button and with it held down, click the power icon and choose restart. Keep SHIFT held until it has restarted into a menu. Choose Troubleshoot, then Refresh my PC. This returns the PC to new, so you can set it up again by installing your programs. It should all then be in working order
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, I'm not sure what happened. After choosing troubleshoot Refresh my PC did not appear, the choice was to restart with an option to retain my files. this action took all of 2/3 mins. However, following restart, when the login screen appeared a wifi icon also appeared next to the power button, when Prompted to connect it asked for my password ***** following its insertion it connected to the internet. Unfortunately I have had no such fortune with the email.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, now what happens when you try to get your emails/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

same as before, says there are errors, requests password, I enter password ***** it goes back to errors then requests password ***** etc.

Perhaps there is something amiss in the email accounts data.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, can you remove the account from the computer.
To do this, right click on it in windows live mail and choose remove.
Then click on the top left arrow and click on Accounts, Add an account and add it back
Tell me if it then functions please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm afraid i could not do as you asked, right clicking on accounts only brought up to items in the drop down menu, neither of which was remove.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, remove it this way instead by clicking on the down arrow top left then click accounts, and then email accounts and then you can remove it in the box that opens (where you also add it again).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, I can't see any arrows anywhere, anyway I've messed about and removed the account larry2288 & then recreated it. The system says it is synchronising it so that I can receive my email, however I've been hear before. It says it takes a few minutes.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I dont think then your in windows live mail but in windows mail (the new one which is different).
It can take some time to sync, let it have 20 minutes and let me know if it then works please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still synchronising I'm afraid, as I mentioned I've been here before.

I think it's time to say many thanks for your help so far, but I'de rather just leave it for tonight, and I'll let you know tomorrow if our goal has been achieved.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, though the email app is quite buggy Lawrence, and as you said windows live mail I was under the impression thats what you were using.
I would advise to actually use that as its much more stable and you can download it from the essentials pack free from my link below
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/essentials
Then open windows live mail and add your account there.
I will be here tomorrow so we can do that then
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Morning Richard, Absolutely no joy I'm sorry to say, and I am using windows live mail, I've done a restore point this morning but obviously it couldn't go back any further than the windows 10 download. Unless you can come up with anything else, I think i would prefer to return the machine to its original settings via usb recovery stick created at the time of its installation.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Morning Lawrence
We can return it to the previous version of windows Lawrence, this would be best.
To do this, open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.”
You should see a “Go back to Windows 7″ or “Go back to Windows 8.1″ option. Click the Get started button to get rid of your Windows 10 install and restore your previous Windows install. Microsoft will ask you why you want to go back.
Let it complete and it should return to the previous working version
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Recovery completed, and e-mail restored.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Email working? If so, then wait a few months before trying the windows 10 upgrade as its just not ready for your computer.If email is still not working let me know, Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I'll rate your service,

Thanks for the Help, although not the most desired result.

Lawrence

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your most welcome Lawrence,
Its a compatibility issue, windows 10 is getting this with some make and models so the only thing for now is to wait till it is patched.
If you need anything else, please let me know.
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues