Zabo04
Zabo04, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Experienced in Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, and Outlook.
58597962

My wife has documents created in 2003 in word 97 that have

My wife has documents created in 2003 in word 97 that have been converted to some other version. We would like to remove these documents but are being denied by a an error message advising that the file is open in Microsoft Word. Many attempts to circumnavigate this have been made. Do you have a solution?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 2 years ago.
Hi,My name is***** am sorry to hear that you have this issue, I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.Please save this page to favorites( ctrl + d) so that you can reconnect in case you get disconnected
It would be easy if we start a remote session on this issue.
It helps to view your desktop and work with you interactively
http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=eef5aada-1ac4-4f7e-aff9-bfde848964daProcedure:1: Click Above link2: Click I Agree button3: CLick Download4: Double click downloaded file to run
HelloAre you there
Do you get my response
Please logoff your machine and see if it makes a change
If issue exists even after login, i would like to know how you converted file to other versionWaiting for your replyThanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry but I needed to leave my computer so couldn't answer. Ok you asked how these documents were converted. It appears it happened when an automatic upgrade was instigated direct by Micro soft. These documents are in fact drafts of novels, part novels etc which have long been supersueded by further editotial corrections thus are no longer needed. This work is held on her laptop machine whilst I am communicating with you from my PC. I had anticipated that your answer would be guidance on key strokes to be made as opposed to direct access to her laptop. is that not the case?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Zabo04 replied 2 years ago.
Here is the basic outline of what needs to happen:1. Get the exact path location of the files and their names (i.e. C:\documents\novel\chapter1.docx). Write them down somewhere.2. Boot Windows into a command prompt safe mode. The point of doing this is that no part of windows or any windows application can have the document open so you will have unrestricted access to it.3. Now you are at a command prompt, something like c:\ and the screen is black with the text in white and the computer is sitting lazily waiting for you to tell it what to do without a mouse. You need to get to the correct directory that holds the files to delete:3a. If you are at the correct harddrive (c:\ or d:\), whichever move to 3b. Otherwise type in the correct drive letter followed by a colon and press enter (c:\, d:\, e:\, etc.).3b. Now for the subdirectories, or everything between the drive letter colon backslash and the filename. for each level (the part between backslashes) you need to change directory (cd). If you are at c:\ and need to get to c:\documents you would type cd documents and press enter. Continue until you are in the directory with the files. For directories with spaces you need to put quotes around it like cd "documents here". Also, if you get the first few letters, like doc, typed in you can tab and windows will auto complete, then press enter, or you can type it out.3c. Check the files are there. Just type in dir and press enter, it will list the directory contents.4. Delete the files. For each file type del then the filename and press enter. For example: del fileIdoNotWant.docx5. Type dir and press enter to be sure you got all the files.
Expert:  Zabo04 replied 2 years ago.
To get to safe mode with the command prompt for step 2, in windows 7, press F8 during boot, eventually a Windows screen will appear with the heading "Advanced Boot Options", use the up and down arrow keys to highlight "Safe Mode with Command Prompt". In windows 8, press F8 to boot to a blue screen with "Choose an Option" and three boxes. Click on "Advanced Options", another blue screen will appear. Click on "Command Prompt".
Expert:  Zabo04 replied 2 years ago.
When all the files are done, type shutdown -r -f -t 0 and press enter. That will restart your computer and boot normally to Windows, forcing stuck application to exit, with a 0 second time delay. If you have a different version of windows let me know and I can help. If you do not understand something, please tell ask and I will clarify.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. With the bank holiday and a number of other diversions I have been unable to apply your solution to my wifes laptop which has the issue. I am hoping that her computer will be available to me later this evening or tomorrow. Once I have tried the solution I will be back to you .

Thank you for maintain contact.

Regards Robert
Expert:  Zabo04 replied 2 years ago.
No problem. Take your time and check spelling, it the command prompt so it has to be exact. The trickiest part will be navigating to the correct folder. When you are unsure of where you are just type in "dir" to get a directory listing or "cd .." to go up one folder level (to the parent folder), no quotes, just type what is in the quotes. Ask questions as you have them. Wish there were an easier way, but at the command prompt safe mode level only essential services are started, so whatever is holding on to those files should not be running (the only problem would be if Windows itself were using them, which is highly unlikely).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have responded to you but I'm not sure that this response actually found its way to you so for the sake of clarity I will repeat it. I have tried and reached the safe prompt command bar but when I 'enter' on to it I am faced with line after line of white text on a black screen showing different windows systems. I went back to the 'safe command prompt bar' and tried clicking on f8 but that did nothing. Back to the white on black text listing I tried entering the file addresses I want to aces but again two fingers. The laptop is running windows 7 premium. It has since been noted that more recent files have also converted to read only at present that is not a problem but it would be advantageous to know why that occurs.

16:48hrs. Since my post above I have spent more hours trying to attack this issue. Accessing the internet has shown me that I am far from alone in tackling this question of read-only deletions and preventions but still the I have been unable to get beyond accessing the Command prompt stage, indeed I now have direct access to via the side bar. I have tried many combinations of file address and sub address but all fail. My suggestions is that I send to you ads an example the file address of one of the offending files so that you can view it to see that I'm using the right format.

Expert:  Zabo04 replied 2 years ago.
Before you can access the files you have to be in the correct directory. You have to use the "cd" command to change directories to get there. I have attached an example of using the command prompt. Notice the dir before and after when I am in the directory with the file I deleted.
Expert:  Zabo04 replied 2 years ago.
Can you please tell me where windows starts you off at the command prompt (should be c:\, but depending on some settings it can be different)? Also what is the full directory and filename of one of the files you are trying to delete? I should be able to replicate the directory structure from that and give you a screenshot example.
Expert:  Zabo04 replied 2 years ago.
Sorry about the late response today, when I am at work I cannot use those computers for anything personal, which would be JustAnswer. I can read your posts and think about things, but I cannot log on and respond (now if JustAnswer would come around on an Android app for me...)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello, No problem like you I cannot always be at my computer and indeed later tonight all day tomorrow and most of Friday I will also be absent. No matter I thank you for your perseverance. This issue started out as being my offer to crack a simple problem its now a matter of pride. Oh for some nuts bolts gear wheels and power electrics which would allow me to see what is needed. Ok In response to your question.

How I know not I have managed to get command prompt onto my left side start bar so I can click right on it without holding f8.

Having done so I get a black screen with white text..

The opening paragraph tells me that I have version 6.17601

whilst the opening line reads. C:\user\XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

An example of one of the files I am trying to delete is listed as follows.

C:\user\gillwallbanks\Desktop\gills Folder\Novels\22Diamonds2nd May.doc Other files follow similar nomenclature. Another example is/. C:\user\XXXXXXXXXXXXXX\novels\novel wip\CB Diamonds arefor never.doc

I really hope that helps you.

Robert XXXXXXXXX

Expert:  Zabo04 replied 2 years ago.
That should help me to make things a lot clearer for you. I'll make a mock directory on my PC and create a powerpoint with screenshots for you.
Expert:  Zabo04 replied 2 years ago.
Here is a powerpoint with step by step screenshot instructions. Let me know how this works for you or if you have problems downloading. Here is the link: http://www.mediafire.com/view/r0826tbo6kr5338/CMD_File_Deletion.pptx
Zabo04, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Experienced in Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, and Outlook.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

zabo 04, Thanks you very much for the work you are doing on our behalf. I have just returned home and accessed your power point guide. I have viewed it quickly, it looks a little daunting but later tonight when I relax I intend to work my way through it hopefully to satisfaction. So for the minute I will sign off but I will be back to tell you what progress I have made. Again many thanks.

Bob

20:26.

I have tried for the past two hours but have only achieved part success. I can get to the Directory of c:\Users\gillwallbanks and see all the directories listed i.e. your worked example on page 7 When I attempt to specify the specific directory I get a message of , The system doesn't recognise the pathway. In your example on page 7 we have an auto start line of c:\users\gillwallbanks> after which you type the folders address. However your line substitutes > 'the chevron' with a back slash. I cannot delete my chevron thus my line is different to yours. Imp unsure as to whether or not this is my issue. How do I proceed?

Expert:  Zabo04 replied 2 years ago.
Everything to the left of the chevron is the "prompt", you type to the left. The "prompt" tells you were you are in teh directory structure and where the command will run. Only type hte character to the right of the chevron, then press enter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks yr reply. Yes I understand I can only type to the right of the prompt but my prompt which is automatical produced (I dont type it) ends with a chevron which your example did not have. When I continue by typing the file name the chevron stays there I.e. <\gillwallbanks etc. To continue. So as you see I cannot reproduce your power point example because of the prescence of the chevron. Whether or not this is the reason Im not progressing I dont know but assume it to be so. I have tried deleting it several times. Im really sorry Im taking up so much of your time and thank you for help. Why microsoft make it so complicated to errase these files leaves me bewilded.

Regards Bob

Expert:  Zabo04 replied 2 years ago.
I need you to type out what the prompt looks like exactly and what it looks like if you type dir. That will help me understand.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your response. Since my last message I have had commitments that prevented me getting to the laptop until after 6pm last evening. What we found was amazing and incomprehensive. All the folders in the directory that were 'read only' had been converted back to such that we were able to delete them using the straightforward procedure of highlighting and then using the delete button.

Given that when I last tried Friday evening I followed your template but could not replicate your image because of the chevron. Having ignored the chevron I continued to type the file address but after pressing enter I received an error message saying the path was not valid hence my message back to you. I have not made any further attempts since then so I cannot understand why some two days later it appears to have re converted itself. We are now in the situation where our fault is corrected. Later last night having been convened the issue had been resolved I looked at upgrades to find there were 9 in all one mandatory 8 others optional. these have now all been downloaded and the next step is to download windows 10 while we have the chance. I am extreamly grateful for the time you have given to this issue on our behalf I intend to rate you highly for your work and I believe that I am able to increase my payment which I intend to do. Again many thanks to you.

Regards ***** *****

P.s Convened should read convinced. Also cannot seam to find a way to offer you a n additional reward. In the past exchanges I came across an opportunity to leave a monetary tip but I cant find it. Is there a way of showing my appreciation?

Expert:  Zabo04 replied 2 years ago.
Glad to hear you got everything working. You should be able to accept the answer and then be able to tip, as you feel appropriate. If you have problems look in help or send an e-mail to JustAnswer. PQA is somewhat new so their are still a few bugs to be worked out. Please, let me know if you need anything else.
Zabo04, Computer Enthusiast