Viet -MS Office Tech
Viet -MS Office Tech, Other
Experience:  Ten years of computer hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac; Microsoft Office, etc.
30037186

Just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. There are 2 users

Customer Question

Just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. There are 2 users on my Dell PC (self & Wife). Successful upgrade on my user but not on second User, Cannot access Microsoft Edge. The icon is on the taskbar but is not visible and cannot be obtained when clicked. Likewise the desktop new icons appear on my user a/c but not the second user a/c.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Viet -MS Office Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I'm sorry about the issue. Please try the following fix: 1. Back up data, such as documents, photos, etc. on the second user to an external USB hard drive or USB flash drive. 2. Click on Start, then click on Settings, then click on Accounts, then select family / other users, then create a new local administrator account (not Microsoft account) there. 3. Then log off, or restart the computer, then log in the new account, and copy the backup data, then see if you can use the new account fine. 4. Then go to Start -> Settings -> Accounts -> family / other users, then select the problematic 2nd user account and delete it. 5. If the 2nd user was a Microsoft account (with an email address), then in the local administrator account, go to Start -> Settings -> Accounts, and switch to a Microsoft account and sign in. Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fix did not work. I did step 1. I did step 2. Step 3 was the problem. I logged off. I restarted the computer. I logged into the new account. After a few seconds the screen turned completely blue and the following message appeared.
"The User Profile Service failed the sign-in" and then in next line "User profile cannot be loaded" I have deleted the new account and repeated step 2 and 3 several times with the same result. I am no further forward. J H Murray
I'm sorry. Thank you for replying back. I will troubleshoot the issue further with you. It looks like the windows 10 upgrade process did not run smoothly. Please try the following fix: - Please click on Start -> Settings -> Update & security -> Recovery -> Reset PC, then select the option Keep my files, and continue. Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Having viewed that fix I see I will lose over 60 apps which would have to be reinstalled from web or installation discs. I no longer have all such discs and I paid for some apps which are on list (an example is the early one of ESET Smart Security but there are others I see on list) . Remember my user part is OK it is the second user part (my wife's) which did not apparently upgrade to Windows 10. It is not worth the risk or the hassle to follow your recommendation. Thinking about reverting to Windows 7 (within 30 day window) but suspect I will meet even more hassle. J H Murray
I'm sorry. Something is corrupted. Can you try: right-click on the Start icon, then click on Command Prompt (Admin), and confirm yes if prompted, then type exactly:sfc /scannow, then press Enter key, then wait until it finish (it should take around 30 minutes), then restart the computer and check. - If that does not work, you can just go back to Windows 7; it should be fine, and all your apps / programs will stay. (Click on Start -> Settings -> Update & security -> Recovery, and select the option to go back to windows 7 there.) Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have run the scan (it took just under 25 mins.). At the end of scan the following message appeared. "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations". I restarted computer and same problem exists. Same message as before on a blue screen. My User part is up and running on Windows 10 and I am reluctant to revert back to Windows 7 for that reason. The second user (my wife) has no Windows tiles on her desktop. The Microsoft Edge icon exists on the taskbar but is hidden from view. If one clicks on this "hidden" icon ME appears after a delay of approx. 2/3 minutes. Probably not connected to my problem but a message appears on screen briefly as follows "Memeo AutoSync Launcher cannot be run under this version of Windows" (presumably version 10). I don't even know what this software is all about. J H Murray
It is strange as only one account work and a new account does not even work. Can you try to do a clean boot with the steps athttps://www.winhelp.us/clean-boot-windows.htmlThank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have looked at the steps set out on the website you gave me and have concluded that I am not competent to undertake this task, not least because if I met problems or made a mistake I would be completely lost. I do not wish you to have remote access as on the previous occasion when I allowed a stranger (also said he was a qualified computer technician) to have such access the PC was returned to me in a shocking state without correcting any of the issues. It was extremely costly to have everything put back in order. I will not go into detail suffice to say I vowed never to allow remote access again but to use a local computer specialist to have access. Having spoken to that same firm (who corrected the above disaster) today they confirm that many other local persons are experiencing problems upgrading to Windows 10. I am by no means alone. They currently have over 75 computers in their workshop, the majority being there to correct Windows 10 issues. I will join that queue. It appears to be a software problem and not my hardware which is at fault but I will wait and see what they report to me. I therefore bring our contact to a close. Sorry you could not find a solution as I was led to believe. Clearly the sum I paid of £26 has been used up long ago but, in all honesty, you must agree that I cannot give you a high rating as I am no further forward from when I first contacted "Just Answer". J H Murray
I'm sorry. We have an A+ service rating at the Better Business Bureau website:http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/professional-services-general/justanswer-in-san-francisco-ca-82403Yes, windows 10 is very new, so there is issue with many older computer models. It's just compatibility issue. If you'd like to, you can just just go back to Windows 7; it should be fine, and all your apps / programs will stay. (Click on Start -> Settings -> Update & security -> Recovery, and select the option to go back to windows 7 there.)By the way, in the future, before upgrading to any new windows version, check at your computer's manufacturer's website first.If you need anything else, please let me know any time. Thank you.