Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I loaded Windows 10 on my Sony VAIO but just have a blank screen.

I loaded Windows 10 on my Sony VAIO but just have a blank screen. What should I do?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues. Before I can provide you an answer or solution to this, please tell me the following:Did you upgrade your Vaio to Windows 10? If yes, what is its previous operating system: Windows 7 or Windows 8.1? Please reply to me using the reply box below so that I can assist you further. Please do not rate my answer yet, rating is only required when we are done and you are satisfied with my service.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did upgrade my VAIO from Windows 8.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information and I am very sorry about the persisting issue. Did the upgrade process complete or finish successfully then you got a blank screen when you restart? Or you got the blank screen in the middle of the upgrade process?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got messages like "only a few more tweaks" and then it went blank, after restarting
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information. I believe you have already turned ON and OFF the computer but the problem persists. Please try to do the following:If the computer is ON with a blank screen, press and hold the power button to turn it OFF.If the computer is OFF, unplug and remove ALL USB-devices attached to the computer including Flash drives, external hard drives, printers, cameras, etc. If you are using a USB keyboard and mouse, just leave them plugged in.With ALL of your USB-devices unplugged, turn ON the computer then see if it continues to boot into Windows 10.Please let me know your results so that I can assist you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done that but no change. I don't even get the VAIO screen before the wallpaper screen. The cursor arrow is visible though.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for writing back and I am very sorry about this persisting issues. Please wait a few moments and see if the Windows 10 system loads. Also, please notice if the HDD led is flashing very fast that indicates hard drive activity. If the HDD led is flashing fast or steady that indicates hard drive activity, please wait since Windows could still be busy loading in the background.But if there is no sign of disk activity, like when the HDD led is not blinking or flashing, please let me know since the system could have frozen already.Keep me posted.Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The HDD light was flashing but is not
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Can you please check if there now NO SIGN of hard drive activity?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just after I switched it off and then on, the HDD light did flash a few times but I've been looking at it for a good five minutes now and it hasn't flashed in that time. Just to tell you that I loaded the upgrade on Tuesday so this is all getting a little tedious.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information and I am very sorry about this issue. So right after the upgrade, the computer is no longer usable. Is this correct?Also, can you please describe to me your computer screen now? Is the screen showing the wallpaper only, no icons, and a mouse pointer is functional?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
How is it going? Can you please describe to me your laptop screen or display now? Do you see the wall paper this time? Or only a blank screen?You mentioned that the cursor arrow is visible this time, can you please check if you can move the mouse cursor?You can try rebooting the laptop but make sure that ALL of your USB-attached devices are unplugged.Please keep me posted so that I can assist you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cursor Can be moved. What I've done is to switch off and remove the battery. It has re-booted the system and then after updating it is now working fine. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for writing back. I have been waiting for your feedback. And yes, since all USB-devices are removed or unplugged the system shall be able to load some of the drivers this time thus your mouse pointer appeared and working.The next option is to hard reset the system by removing the battery to refresh its power state since it has been frozen for some time already.Thank you for your patience. Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.Thank you!Best regards,Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years