michelleclive
michelleclive, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Indept expertise on MS Office package
26798893

Ever since downloading windows 10 my laptop will not stay connected

Customer Question

Ever since downloading windows 10 my laptop will not stay connected to the internet via wifi.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  michelleclive replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve the problem you have posted.what happens can you explain the problem a bit more in detail.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When using wifi, I'll open an internet page, then the internet logo in the task bar shows a triangle and says the internet is not connected.

When I do a diagnostic check it fixes the problem, connects to the internet for a few seconds, then disconnects again.

The problem is with the wifi network driver.is it possible to connect the computer directly to the wifi router using a lan cable.i can remotely fix the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it is currently connected directly via cable.

click on the search cortana box and type in device manager
click on device manager and let it open once you are ther let me know.
There is an optional Remote Connect Service - Quick ResolutionRemote access is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee ($22). It is 100% safe which will allow me directly work on the problem and can be fixed quickly, you can sit back and watch your screen while i fix it for you. Let me know if you need the additional service or else we can continue with the service you have already opted for.let me know if you want to opt for remote assistance
Did you manger to open device manager?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, let's go with the remote access option

please agree to the remote offer so that i can send you the remote link to run.
Click here
Join Your Remote Desktop SessionHow Remote Desktop WorksAgree to the Remote Desktop Legal Disclaimer below.The Remote Desktop client file will automatically download to your computer.Open the Remote Desktop client file on your computer and you will be connected to a session with your Expert.After agreeing to the Remote Desktop Legal Disclaimer, you can always download the client again if need be.
Connected remote wifi driver updated need to restart and check.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, what now?

i rebooted the computer did you check the wifi.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I checked, still not staying connected :-(

start elsinore and let me connect.
http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=5d73cbdb-f2ee-4be0-8b4e-217885b5423c
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, this is now working on wireless, think it's sorted, thank you very much. How do I contact you if it goes wrong again?

dont delete justanswer email from your inbox you can open the mail and post me a question from there.
Problem fixed using remote service.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michelle, your 'fix' for my laptop worked fine for about half a day but, unfortunately it is back to square one now, any other solutions?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry, seemed to get cut off

not a problem i will check and fix it again for you if it has not worked for a day or two.
l will be online after one and a half hour. will be online from a computer.
will that be fine or you would like to continue at some other time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will be going out very soon but will be available again in around three hours time, does this work for you?

yes absolutely...post me a message once you are back so that we can continue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** :-)

ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michelle, I'm back

Hihttp://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=7070d51d-8879-420a-996e-d147c4b87c23
click on the link above and run the remote session and let me know when its ready.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, there seems to be a problem with the remote connection, anything I can do from here?

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=7070d51d-8879-420a-996e-d147c4b87c23
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

tried downloading this a couple of times, keeps showing error

Try this http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=c63ef5b3-08b7-4e0b-85e4-8b9cca5fb85a
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi Michelle, still not working.

I have to go to work now, please speak to my wife, her name is Terri :-)

sure will continue with here.Hi Terri.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi michelle

is it working fine now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no

i have made the changes now i will reboot the computer then you can connect wifi.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michelle, I'm back from work, unfortunately the wifi still isn't working but my wife couldn't contact you as she forgot the password ***** the laptop :-)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michelle, not sure if you got my message, I think I exited the page.

it seems that the windows registry files have a corruption and we have lareday attempted most of the fixes possiblei would suggest you to backup your data first as we might have to reinstall windows 10
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michelle, all backed up and ready to go.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michelle, I appreciate you're busy but, just so you know, I have to leave for work in around one hour, so on a little tight time scale :-)

click on the cortana search box and type in recovery click on the icon to open recovery you must see the windows 7 roll back option select and follow the steps.let me know the make and model number of the computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michelle, firstly, the laptop is Dell Inspiron 5520 and secondly, it came originally with windows 8, which is the option it is giving me to go back to, I assume this would be the correct next step?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, another problem, the files needed to go back to windows 8 have been removed, is there a way to download them, or is there another option?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michelle, I'm off to work now but Terri is around to receive your answer, thanks again for your help.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michelle, I'm about for the next hour if you're available

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michelle, could you please give me an idea of when is the best time to talk to you, obviously there is a time difference and I'm not sure by how much, thanks :-)

your early morning would be good for me 8Am to 12Pm your time. I am online and will be the whole day.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michelle, thanks for that.

I'm around for the next two hours (6 til 8am), have to leave for work around 7:45 but will be around between 1 & 3pm this afternoon, so hopefully can resolve this problem then :-)

yes sure, i will stay online at 1PM your time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's great, thanks, ***** ***** you then.

sure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michelle, ready when you are :-)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michelle, I will need to leave in around one hour from now, just so you know the time scale we have to work with, any idea how long it might take?

Thanks :-)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michelle, I thought you were going to be online between 1 & 3, what happened?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, let's try again, tomorrow I can be online from 7:30am until 10:30am UK time, does that work for you?

My apology i was not able to get online due to internet outage yesterday, i am good now and will be online 7:30 am Uk time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No problem, I'm about as soon as you're ready

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

?

hi, my apology for the delayi am actually on a phone...would you like me to remote access your pcif yes let me know so that i may logon to my pc and share a remote link with you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, that would be good, thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just so you know, I have about 45 minutes before I have to leave :-)

this process will take more time i would suggest we do this when you have around 2 hours time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had around two hours time this morning at 7:00 when we arranged to speak, I run my own business and am very busy, so don't just have a spare two hours here and there.

I suggest we arrange a time and both be available at the time specified, when would be good for you?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can be available 8:00pm UK time this evening or 6:00am UK time tomorrow morning, which would be best for you?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michelle, I'm off to work so will answer your reply on my return, thanks.

ok ..i will schedule it for saturday 6 am positively and have added it...i will post you a message on saturday morning
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** you then :-)

sure
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Morning Michelle

Good Morning let me know when you are ready i will give you a remote link to connect
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ready when you are

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

?

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=66891f03-e925-4030-90a6-7f35b7416a3c
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you need me to re connect the remote desktop?

i am already connected and we are good on wireless signal now, is it workng fine now on wireless.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, the switch works but when I turned the wireless back on, it wouldn't reconnect. am now back on cable

Try to click on the wieless icon and then uncheck the connect button and then connect do the same recheck and disconnect and finally enter the password
Customer in 2 mins i will be onGuest: okmichelleclive: Himichelleclive: how are youmichelleclive: have you backed up your datamichelleclive: we might have to roll back to windows 8 the origianal os it hadGuest: great thanks and, yes data all backed upmichelleclive: there is a problem with the wifi compatible drivermichelleclive: i will try one more time to install the driver and then we will see if we need to roll back or notGuest: okGuest: just a reminder, the windows 8 software has been deleted from the laptop, bon't know if that will make a difference?michelleclive: let me check thatmichelleclive: no we do have the option to roll back to windows 8.1michelleclive: not a problemmichelleclive: Please enter the router passwordGuest: ok, donemichelleclive: can you disconnect the lan cable from the back of this computer and do not disconenct the cable from the router endmichelleclive: himichelleclive: it looks you are on the wireless nowGuest: Yes, it seems to be working nowmichelleclive: all you have to make sure that the wireless switch on the computer is not offGuest: ok, you mean now or just whenever I use it?michelleclive: can you tell me the laptop make and model number.michelleclive: okmichelleclive: give me a minutemichelleclive: can you tell me do you see a wireless icon picture on the F2 key on the top of the kyboardGuest: Yesmichelleclive: that is the wireless key to turn off press hold the Fn key at the bottom and hit the F2 key it will turn off the wireless and do the same it will turn onmichelleclive: can we try and confirm it worksGuest: okmichelleclive: Fn + F2 will turn off and on wifi.michelleclive: can you enter the password ***** the pinGuest: Not sure what it is, let me checkmichelleclive: give me a minuitemichelleclive: can you tell me the model of the hub you havemichelleclive: its modem or hub, super hub, super hub 2 acGuest: super hubmichelleclive: I have checked all the settings however the problem has been identified te problem is with the security type selected on the super hub needs to be changed and that change can only be done by Virginmichelleclive: you have to call virgin and get your router access passwordmichelleclive: then you will have to change the main password ***** you are using and set it to wpa2/pskmichelleclive: I have checked my end the drivers are perfectly fine if you take the laptop to any other hotspot it will connect without a problemmichelleclive: sometines the frequency of the security type does not sync with the laptop in that case you have to change the security setting like wpa/wpa2michelleclive: its connected now can you unplug the lan cable from the laptop endmichelleclive: looks good in wireless nowGuest: It worked fine in wireless when I was testing the wireless switch, seems to stay connected but when disconnected, will not then re connectmichelleclive: all you have to make sure the wirless switch is on Fn+F2michelleclive: it will connectmichelleclive: and if the problem persists call virgin and change the router security settings as i explained abovemichelleclive: get a new password ***** well.Guest: ok, I can do that now if you like?michelleclive: i hope i was able to make you understand the fact of the signal and frequency sometimes needs upgrade or degrade to make a good connection.michelleclive: feel free to ask any time you have a question.michelleclive: If you have any problem updating your virgin router security type and password ***** me know we can do a conference call to virgin. If the problem persists.michelleclive: i shall end the remote session now?Guest: ok, thanksmichelleclive: have a good day.Guest: You too