Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Please can you help. I have upgraded to Windows 10 and

Customer Question

Hello, Please can you help. I have upgraded to Windows 10 and have a problem which seems to be related to the Windows update facility. The update frequently ceases to operate and when this happens, the internet connection can be interrupted and I am unable to run (for example) Chrome. When checking the Update and Security setting, the Windows Update selection only displays moving blue dots at the top of the page with no activity from the update feature. I have discovered the only way I can get Update to work is to run a Restart which mostly fires the update into life. I have run the troubleshooter which now states "resolve problems which prevent you from updating Windows" running the troubleshooter as Administrator reports "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem"
This issue has been present since the Windows 10 upgrade. Please help, it's driving me crazy. Many thanks, Alyn
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you do the following please
close all programs
Press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (admin)
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then test and tell me please if you still have the problem
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I close my browser, how will I communicate with you?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You can return to this web page when finished and tell me the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please go ahead with the remote support. I'll hit the Get Extra Help button now.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, once you accept it we can do this.
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect
Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ID =###-##-####/p>

Psw= 4624

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

help, the restart seems stuck with scanning and repairing drive c 10g% complete message. disk activity light is stationary no blinking as expected.l/

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, this can be normal it depends on the amount of problems it is finding and taking this long it means there are lots of issues it is fixing.Let it complete please, its important and it may still take another few hours.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Richard, I feel less anxious now.

Chances are that you will be off duty when it finishes. ( I am in the UK). If so I'll contact you tomorrow evening UK time.

Regards alyn

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Im in the Netherlands, so yes, I am off soon.
But we circle back tomorrow on this, no problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good evening Richard.

The repair process to drive C completed overnight as expected. Unfortunately the initial problem remains the same.

"When checking the Update and Security setting, the Windows Update selection only displays moving blue dots at the top of the page with no activity from the update feature." etc.

I still have the TeamViewer available if you want to check it out.

Regards, Alyn

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, if you go to control panel, Updates Alyn, what exact is said there now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Maybe I'm a bit dim but I can't see an Updates icon in the Control Panel.

Checking the Settings, all I have is the Windows Update caption on the top left corner with blue background and a continuous string of blue dots running from left to right at the top of the page.

Alyn

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, may I connect again please
Run Team viewer and give me the ID and Password
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ID - ###-##-####/p>

PSWd - 4624

Team viewer running

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry Richard,

Password ***** changed now 9304

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thought something was up, no problem connecting now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Restart took ages.

New PSWD - 9304

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
connecting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Richard - A bit more information.

When I switched off the desktop yesterday, all was working ok.

When switching on today I got the following results:

1 Google Chrome wouldn't start,

2 Windows update page was as you saw it with the blue dots and nothing else. No other application was run as I am fairly sure they are not affected.

These two "failures" have been seen before and mentioned in my initial briefing. I ran a Restart. As this was starting an error warning appeared but was displayed too quickly to collect any information. An error message at this point has been seen before but maybe not the same one.

The restart completed, although took longer than usual, I checked Chrome and Update which were now running normally.

This leads me to speculate there is a problem in the startup process as the running of Restart on other occasions has often, but not always, fixed the problem.

It may be worth mentioning that on many shut downs, I get an error message stating that something (maybe a program) is stopping the shutdown but the shut down completes nevertheless. As before, the full message is too fast to read.

With the weekend upon us, please can you tell me if and when you will be available to help and I will do my best to be here to help as necessary. I will not be here this evening after 18.30 uk time.

Hope this helps. Regards, Alyn

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1 Google Chrome wouldn't start,

Hope this helps. Regards, Alyn

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you do the following please
Press the windows key + R and type in MSCONFIG and press enter.
Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"
Then click Disable All
Click ok, restart and let me know if it still has this issue please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Richard, apologies for the delayed reply.

On start up 30 mins ago, the Update and Chrome issue was there again. Outlook was ok but I couldn't get to your answer as outlook is linked to Chrome which wouldn't start.

I ran a Restart which cleared the problems. The system appears be working OK. Running your script today will prove nothing now but, if it works, we won't see the issues again. What do you suggest?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Run my instructions Alyn and that way if it happens again we have ruled this out as the cause.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. I'll keep you posted.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you and have a great day
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard, I shut the system down leaving it for a few hours, started it as usual and the problem is there again.

Did a Restart which took ages but fixed the problem. looks like the MSCONFIG change isn't the culprit. Shall I restore to original setting?

Keep smiling, Alyn Smile

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes please Alyn :)Though if it re-appears again we are moving towards a windows reinstall Let me know if it comes back please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard

I have reset MSCONFIG. I agree we seem to have no option but to reinstall Windows. Will this delete my applications? I know the data files won't be affected.

Please can you tell me how this will be managed from your end, what do I do, timing and when etc?

I think we should do it ASAP and get it out of our collective hair.

Alyn

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes it will so you need to install them again
Your files WILL be deleted so you need to back up up first.
I cannot do this as it cannot be done remotley Alyn
So backup your files off the computer and let me know when this is done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this is a Job I will have to schedule and I don't have a lot of time at present but that's my problem. I can get a Windows 10 installation media from MS download.

Do you think a Reset will do the job? That gives the option to keep the files.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
In my experience no, you can run it but it still leaves most of the system files intact.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard, I'll be in touch. Thanks for all your help and advice.

Regards, Alyn

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your most welcome Alyn
Till then