Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Having downloaded my upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1 I cannot

Customer Question

Having downloaded my upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1 I cannot access my e-mails. When I press my Mail tile nothing happens. This problem is on my desktop, my laptop also now on windows 10 works without problem and my e-mails are accessible
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcomeCan you do the following pleasePress the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (Admin)A black window will openType in it sfc /scannow press enter and when it has completed, type in chkdsk /r Press enter. It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.Then try to open the Mail IconI can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.Let me know the results please
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Can you go to www.teamviewer.com Click on Download for Free Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get the answer "access denied as you don't have sufficient priviledges, you have to invoke this utility in elevated mode"
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you missed the step I gave, it happens, will repeat it below again
Press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (Admin)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Regret to say that my Mail Icon is still not responding, despite running chkdsk
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, but you also had to run the first command
sfc /scannow
Did you run this too and what did it say at the end?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes ran scannow first and verification scan took quite a lot of time to complete but did so then ran chkdsk and then restarted computer.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ThanksOpen the "Store" appClick on your account icon (top-right side), a popup menu should appearChoose "Downloads"Tell me what is in the Queue there please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 apps, both say "try that again" and "something went wrong, error code 0x80070490"
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Which apps are they?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am so sorry for my total lack of computer savvy, the apps are:
Microsoft Net Native Runtime and Twitter
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its ok!Press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (admin)Type inDISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /RestorehealthPress enter When this has completed, restart the computer and tell me if Mail now opens please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard sorry I am still in trouble. I get answer Error 87 the online/cleanup-image/restore health option is unknown. For more info refer to the help by running DISM.exe
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You forgot the spaces when typing it in
you need a space between the options....not all one long line of text.
Dism /Online /Clean-Image /RestoreHealth
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding. Our broadband line was intermittent over the weekend although all now restored.
Regret still unable to open my e-mail accounts by pressing the "Mail" tile, only way I can access them on this computer is by logging onto Outlook.com. Yesterday I re-ran all the tests you previously asked me to run, i.e .sfc /scannow (answer windows resource did not find any integrity violations) chkdsk /r this test seem to stick for a long time mon 10% completed but eventually seemed to finish as start screen eventually re-appeared. Then ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (answer restore operation completed successfully). My husband wondered if the problem may be that he is the System Administrator on this computer and I am another user. When running your tests I did input my husbands Administrator password ***** enable app to make changes to the computer. Can you please help further
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you sign in as your husband, does it then work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes if I sign in to my husband's account using his password, the Mail tile works and his e-mail accounts all open correctly
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, in your husbands account, press the windows key + X and click on control panel
Go to Accounts and click on your account.
Make sure it is set to be an administrator account.
Once set, sign into your account and tell me if mail then opens please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have set up my account also as Administrator. Still no luck, Mail tile does not respond
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, create a new account there, then sign into this new account and tell me if Mail then opens please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am so sorry I am not sure how to do this, can you please talk me through this
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Of course.
click this link and follow the instructions here please
http://www.howtogeek.com/226540/how-to-create-a-new-local-user-account-in-windows-10/
As it shows you with pictures.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Success, thank you so much for all your help and patience. Very much appreciated, I assure you
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Perfect! was a pleasure working with you
If you ever need anything else, please let me know