Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I use a mac & hotmail.need to change mail settings to IMAP

i use a mac & hotmail.need to change mail settings to IMAP
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Which email program are you using on the Mac to access Hotmail?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OSX Yosemite version 10.10.5

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Michael
Thats your version of OSX your using, I need to know please which Email program you are using on the Mac to access the emails please.
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

/apple mail version 8.2 [2014]

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
In this program you need to remove the account from Apple Mail then add it again.
To do this, in Apple Mail click on Mail, Preference, Account.
Then click on the Hotmail account andd click on - to remove it
Then click on + To add it again
Add your details to the pop-up box
A box will appear to say that the account must be manually configured.
Account Manual Configuration, check this
Add Incoming Mail Server Settings, ensuring that IMAP is selected.
Use Incoming Server Settings
imap-mail.outlook.com
Click next and an additional settings box will appear.
Enter 993 for the port number and check the SSL box. Leave authentication set to password.
Add Outgoing Mail Server Settings
smtp-mail.outlook.com
Outgoing Server Settings
If you get asked to enter a port number enter 587.
Then once done the account is added as an Imap account
Let me know the results please
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this is going to take me sometime.I will be back to you

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem, once added its then set as imap
Let me know how you go please