Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Have recently upgraded to windows 10 however does not appear

Customer Question

have recently upgraded to windows 10 however does not appear to recognise mu usb connected EPSON printer. I did grt to work briefly when I found a repair option which fixed a problem with the usb connection. However was not working next day and I can't find the repair option again! Also with this problem when I open Excel or anything else connected with a printer and day try the file option to get to print it ends up not responding. Any ideas please?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
The normal procedure after updating windows to 10 if a printer does not work is to do a reinstallation of the printer.
What happened when you tried to uninstall the printer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it just reports as uninstalling but nothing happened

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ThanksCan you press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (Admin) when it appears in the menuA black window will open. Type in it sfc /scannow press enter and when it has completed, type in chkdsk /r Press enter. It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.Then try to uninstall the printer Reinstall the printer again and then try to install it again. I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard,

Thanks for your reply could you remote in and carry out these steps for me please, just in caser something goes awry in the process,

cheers

Martin

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Of course MartinIf you can please accept the offer, I can do this for youThank you
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect
Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how long should the install take? it's being running a while

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi Martin
You still haven't given me the ID and Password ***** as requested so I can connect.
Please provide me this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it's still installing!!!!seems a bit long

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, it should only take a few seconds to complete
Restart your computer and try to install it again please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

id is 816 528 706

password *****

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry it took so long to reply but on restarting it came up with 'Scanning and repairing drive (C:):' after an hour of being on 10% complete I went out and left it running, on my return it was requesting a restart which I did. I was then able to remove the printer and reinstall it. Touch wood all seems to be working fine thanks for your help.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thats ok Marting, it took so long as it needed to fix a lot of issues.
Good it is working correctly now. If you have any problems, let me know