Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Sliders on dropdown lists are dropping to the bottom of the

Customer Question

Sliders on dropdown lists are dropping to the bottom of the list. Have no control over where slide. If list is to the right, it wanders off to the right hand end of the list.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you give a little more information please?
Is this on web pages you are visiting? If so in which internet browser?
Or is in something else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is on desktop and at least one bit of software (e-sword). Only started today. Have run a virus scan and there are no viruses/Trojans, etc.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
There can be a few causes for this so please start with the following
Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then tell me please if you still have the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had to leave chkdsk/r running overnight. It said it was repairing the C: drive and was10% complete(for more than two hours). When I got up this morning it had completed but the problem still exists. I have a busy day today, as we are going on holiday very early tomorrow, so I may not carry out further instructions immediately.Dave
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I notice that it doesn't happen until I hover the mouse pointer over the list, then the slider drops as though it had a weight on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get the above comments? The problem isn't fixed. You said there were several possible causes, so presumably there are several possible fixes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your initial response was quick, but didn't solve the problem. My comments above don' t seem to have reached you. If this doesn't reach you, I'll try a direct e- mail.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, buy the time you replied, I was not online.
Can you close all programs.
Click Start, type in MSCONFIG and press enter.
Click on the Startup Tab and click Disable All.
Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"
Then click Disable All
Click ok, restart and let me know if you still have the problem please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for late reply (on holiday). That didn't work either.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problemDownload revouninstaller from my link belowhttp://www.revouninstaller.com/Then run it and use this program to uninstall E-SwordMake sure during the uninstall that you choose to do an advance scan and delete all registry items and files it finds.Restart and then install e-sword again and tell me if you still have the problem.Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still have the problem without re-installing e-sword. Is it absolutely essential to re-install it? I could re-download it later.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I do not understand your last message.How can you have the problem with e-sword without having installed it again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is also when I click on file explorer, although I think I first noticed it n e-sword.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ThanksIf it is happening in other places then we will have to do a system restoreTo do this, close all programs.Click start, and type insystem restoreAnd press enterFollow the onscreen steps and perform a restore choosing a restore date from before this problem started.Let this complete and when it has, tell me please if you still have the issue.Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Problem still exists in e-sword as well as windows file explorer.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, go to Start, Control Panel
Click on user account
Create a new user account
Restart the computer and sign in with this new user account and tell me if in this account you also have the problem please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
'fraid it's still there.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
can you tell me the make and model of the computer please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Acer Aspire E1-570, bought January 2014.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ThanksWe have done all the repairs so we will now need to do a reinstall of windows as we have no other options left for this.To do this, first copy all your files off the computer (programs you will need to install again)Once done, then power off the AcerHold ALT and with it held down, power on the Acer and keep tapping F10 until you get to the recovery managerOnce there, follow the onscreen steps and perform a factory restore which will do the reinstallation of windows, removing the corruptionyou can then copy your files back to the Laptop and install your programs.Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Won't be able to copy files until the weekend as I am away from home until then.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem, we will wait till then