Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

I upgraded to 10 last week and was away rest of the

I upgraded to 10 last week and was away for the rest of the week. On starting my pc I got the following pop-up message
***Critical Error
Start menu and Cortina aren't working. We'll try to fix it next time you sign in.
Sign out now****
No matter what I do I can't get any response at all.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Next time this happens choose log/sign out, then hold down ctrl and alt. While holding them down tab delete, will it allow you to open the task manager?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Freddy - nope it brings up the task manager but theres nothing in the files?tasks
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
I am confused at what you are mentioning. I asled if you could open the task manager that way, you just essentially said no and then right after said it brings it up. Which is it doing, does it allow you to open the task manager?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It allowsme to open the task manager
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CPU Disk & Network are at 0% in processes
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Normally I would offer remote for this, but since you can not get into windows it is impossible to do that.
Thank you for clarifying for me.
Open the task manager.

Click on more details near the bottom.
Now at the top click on the file menu.

Click on new task and a box will open.
Type in msconfig and click on ok.

Choose the diagnostic start up and click on ok.
It will ask you to restart when it does let it.

Hopefully you will be able to log into windows now but do not use it yet.
Type cmd into the search web and windows box.

Even if you are one right click on command prompt in the list and choose run as administrator.
In the window that opens type this including the space and slash:

sfc /scannow

Press enter and let it run until it is finished.
Open msconfig again like you did originally, change it back to normal, click ok and restart.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did diagnostic startup and its just buffering
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
It can take a while to start in that mode, let it run. It should eventually either sign you in so that you can follow the rest or will give you an error. If you get an error please give me that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Take your time. Please do not reply until then, this site forces me to be the last to reply on the page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so far so goodbut it wont let me type anything in the search box it just turns yellow
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Right click the start button instead and look for command promt admin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - asksifI wanto allow app to make changes
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Choose yes and then continue from here:

sfc /scannow

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Notice: Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok if we are lucky we may not need it, please open msconfig again like you did originally. Change it back to normal and restart.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
system config is not responding - I even closed down and started again
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
When you switched it back to normal mode in msconfig and restart that came up when logging into windows or that came up when trying to open msconfig again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
trying to open misconfig
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok right click on the start button again, click on shut down and sign out, then click on sign out. Try doing it from here. If the same thing happens you should see a power icon, click on it and choose restart.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
gone black should I switch off manually
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Give it a few minutes then if it is still black hold the power button until it turns off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
back to task manager
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok open msconfig and change it to normal. Then restart.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok restarted
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok now sign in normally and test the computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no sfc /scannow?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
No hopefully we will not need it, just sign in and test. If you get the same error we will try running it again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
seems ok - fingers crossed - thanks
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome and please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience: Years of experience.