Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I reserved and downloaded windows 10 windows 7 PC, but

I reserved and downloaded windows 10 for my windows 7 PC, but when I try to install, it goes into an endless cycle of "restart PC to complete update" ... what can I do?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues. First, please tell me, are you able to access the new Windows 10 desktop screen? Or is the PC now inoperable because of the restart loop?Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further. A rating is only required when we are finished. Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jess,

The machine is operable if I exit out of the update "restart to complete installation" screen. It seems to be untouched windows 7. I am not in Windows 10 as it hasn't actually installed. (I reserved and downloaded windows 10 on this machine, then when I click on the "install windows 10" icon it tells me it will be doing 3 steps, and starts the fist where it says "hand on a sec, just checking" then up pops the windows update screen telling me to "restart the PC to complete installation", that just loops endlessly.)

I have installed windows 10 on 4 other of my PCs without a problem.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for writing back with that information. In this 4 other PCs, are these running with Windows 7 also and you upgraded to Windows 10? Or are these brand new PCs that you performed a clean install of Windows 10?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

These were 4 other of my 6 PCs. These were running windows 7 in one case and 8.1 in the other 3. All were installed by reserving windows on line and following the windows install procedure from the taskbar icon after windows had been downloaded to the PC. - The same procedure I tried following in this case. NOTE, the Windows 7 pcs are duplicates of each other regarding hardware, - same motherboards, processors, RAM, etc, and all of my PCs are automatic update on for Windows and were at the latest levels of important and optional software updates prior to the windows 10 update.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information. If you have not tried the procedures I describe below, please give them a try. If you have already did these, please let me know so that we can try another procedures.A. Unplug ALL of your USB-attached devicesThese USB devices can interfere with the installation of Windows 10 so it is highly recommended that you unplug all of your USB devices attached to the computer except for the mouse and keyboard. So you need to unplug any USB flash drive, printers, cameras, and others.B. Turn OFF temporarily your |antivirus softwareI do not know what antivirus you are using but if it is active, it can also interfere with the upgrade process. Please temporarily turn off or deactivate (do not uninstall) your antivirus software and then proceed to the upgrade process.After doing the 2 procedures above, please try upgrading to Windows 10 again.Please let me know your results so that I can assist you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I did both of the above, same effect. The only thing plugged in now is keyboard and mouse and McAfee is off on firewall and virus check

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok. At this point, please check this problem PC for its readiness to the Windows 10 upgrade. This is done by running the update troubleshooter. Please run the troubleshooter using the link below, then let me know your findings.Here is the link:http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9830262
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, it found and fixed 3 issues, but didn't fix "windows update error 0x80070057(2015-09-14-T-12_32_41P)"

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Regarding that error code, did you try to install that update while your AV (means antivirus software) is OFF or disabled?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I always disable mcAfee firewall and anti virus before installing any update manually. It is usually on though if the update tries to download and install automatically, although the Microsoft updates site IS in my exceptions list on the AVG to allow it to run any time without being blocked.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Can you please manually check which update triggers this 0x80070057 error? Also, please restart the problem computer then try installing Windows 10 again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, this will take a while though as I'm in the middle of a major file backup to another computer.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Oh ok. Please take your time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, no, identical to before. Comes up saying it is ready to install, I tell it to install, it goes into a restart cycle...

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for writing back. At this point, let us perform a registry tweak. Please backup your registry for safe keeping. (Export to backup)After doing the backup, please download and then run (merge) this registry file to your registry.Here is the download link for the registry file:http://filesxpress.com/d-b2b4167aAfter merging the registry file, please restart the computer and then try the updates again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry, how do I export to backup the registry?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Oh ok. Since you are using Windows 7, please do these steps:Press the Windows logo key and press R to open the RUN dialog boxIn the RUN box type regedit and press EnterIn the Registry Editor, click on the top item (Computer) Then click on File => Export
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, exported registry and ran the reg fix from the link you gave, I will try a restart now

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok. After restarting, please try installing the updates again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, but may be in an hour or so as I have to go to a meeting right now

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
OK please take your time. We can resume any time when you are available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, it is now downloading the entire windows 10 software again to the PC, this will take some time I guess, but it didn't do that before, so I guess this is a complete/full "clean" copy to allow me to try and start again.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Wow! I believe it is now working. Please allow it to proceed and give it time to download and install the upgrade of Windows 10. If you need anything else later, just let me know, I will still be here to assist you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ouch. donload completed. Installation completed. the the dreaded message "restart to finish installing" popped up, and has been cycling ever since... Windows 10 just isn't installing onto PC...

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
What exactly is the message on screen? Have you unplugged all USB devices when you do the upgrade? Your last option then is to download windows 10 DVD ISO so that you can use it to install the upgrade. Keep me posted. Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, same situation as yesterday. All USB devices (only 2) unplugged, McAfee off. After your suggestions yesterday got it to download a clean version of windows 10 again. Started install. Then gets to restart to install, and just goes into an endless loop... BTW the duplicate hardware of this machine installed windows 10 without anything unplugged without any problem... This is becoming a headache...

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
I am very sorry about the persisting issues. Can you please check your Windows Updates and see if these updates are already installed?KB3035583KB2952664Please check if that 2 updates are installed in your computer.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
If you see the 2 updates already installed, the next option for you, if you have not done this so far, is to check for file system integrity. Here are the steps:Click Start => type "cmd"In the search result, locate the CMD icon, right click on it, then click Run as AdministratorWhen you get the black window command prompt, type this command and press Enter to execute:sfc /scannow Please note that in the command above, there is a space between sfc and /Allow the scan to finish, restart the computer then try upgrading again. We will only proceed to using the DVD installer if all other options failKeep me posted.Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have checked file system integrity, all ok. Disk is fine. Registry fix we did yesterday.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, since everything has been tried but the upgrade is still not working, the next option is to download the ISO creator tool, create the Windows 10 installation DVD and use it to install the Windows 10 upgrade.Please follow the detailed procedures in this link:http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?OCID=WIP_r_Win10_Body_AddPCThere in that page you shall get the link to download the Media Creation Tool. Use that tool to burn the DVD installer for Windows 10 and then use it to upgrade your Windows 7.Keep me posted with your results so that I can assist you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

will this still leave everything in place on my disk, or is this a complete fresh install, basically formatting my HDD?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
No, it should be an upgrade only. Use or select "Upgrade this PC now" option in the tool to do the upgrade.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This worked fine and the PC is now running windows 10 correctly. Thanks a lot for your assistance.