Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I am having trouble opening other people's documents

Hello, I am having trouble opening other people's documents sent to me by e-mail. I think this may have started from when I updated to Windows 10????
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please what type of documents these are? eg: Word documents?
And what happens when you try to open one?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

word documents, I get a message up saying unable to open so to try going to Open and Repair, but I can't work out how to do this!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Press the windows key + X and click on Control Panel.
Click on uninstall a program and click on Office.
Click Change, then click on Repair and choose to do an online repair if asked.
Let this complete and you should then be able to open word documents.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, cheers, ***** ***** it a go!! Will let you know

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard, I looked back to one of the latest e-mails with an attachment and that now opens so hope it's sorted!! If I get the problem again do I go through the same procedure?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Yes its ok now, it should not happen again but if it does, just repeat the procedure again.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.