Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I keep getting an error code, C1900101-30018, when trying to

I keep getting an error code, C1900101-30018, when trying to process an update. I believe that this is the reason why I can't install Windows 10 (from Windows 7).
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcome
Can you tell me please so we do not go over what you have already done, what steps you have already tried?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have used a program called 'Should I remove it' to delete files deemed not necessary. I have also used a program called 'Reimage' to clean up my system.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you disable your Anti Virus program Terence and then try to install the windows 10 upgrade.
If you do not know how to, tell me which anti virus program you are using please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You're answer didn't solve the problem. I'm researching ways to solve it myself.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok... do you wish to continue with me?
I only got the worst rating possible from you after 2 days.
Did I offend you in some way as I am not use to such as reaction so not sure why you did this.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
anyway, if I did offend you some way, sorry about that... only reason I can think of as to why you would make such a serious complaint about me Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator. A black window will open. Type in it sfc /scannow press enter and when it has completed, type in chkdsk /r Press enter. It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer. Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has. Then try to update windows 10I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have been able to download Windows 10, both by disabling my anti virus system, as you suggested, and on previous occasions. However when it comes to 'Upgrading Windows', it always sticks at 32% complete, and I have to revert to Windows 7.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, can you do the last instructions I gave you please?
And so I do not repeat it, tell me how I offended you to give me such a bad rating, as I do not want to offend you in which ever way it was again...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My rating wasn't an indictment over you personally, I was disappointed with the way 'Just Answer' conducted business. I was initially asked to pay 36 Euros, which I did, only to find that I had a 7 day free trial on offer. Furthermore I was then asked to subscribe monthly.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, thats the website, you are rating me personally as an expert. I believe the monthly subscription is an offer. But the rating has indicated I was rude to you and thats reported to the company as such which is why I am left confused and hope you would consider changing it at least....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am currently processing your latest suggestion on the lap top that I want Windows 10 to be installed, and will advise you of the outcome. I have noted on a number of forums that mine is a common error, and I'm surprised that Microsoft haven't made any statements regarding this issue.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you. Is there not a chance though you can change your rating of me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will change my rating depending on how my problem is resolved. Well, I carried out your last instruction explicitly, but the end result was the upgrading to Windows 10 stalled at 32% again. When the program you gave me finished, the system rebooted and asked if I wanted to restore to a previous version of Windows 7, that didn't carry the corrupt files, I agreed. However before I could try to install W 10 again, the system asked to me to perform nearly 160 Windows updates.

After it stalled on 32%, it reverted to Windows 7, and the first screen to come up said that the installation of W10 could not be completed due to error code C1900101-30018. I spent over 10 hours trying to fix it yesterday, can you please confirm one way or another, is it possible to convert to W10 or not ? Thanks.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes its possible, millions are doing this. You might have a hard disk malfunction but we need to eliminate all other causes
What is the make and model of the computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Samson R510, it's about 6 years old.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, your going to need to do a reinstall of windows.
Only step left to rule out software as the cause of this.
Backup all your data off the computer (programs you will need to install again)
Turn on or reboot/restart the computer. Tap the 'F4' key repeatedly when you see the SAMSUNG logo on your screen to start the Recovery Program. After a moment, the computer boots up in Restoration Mode and the Samsung Recovery Solution screen appears. Follow the steps to do a Factory Restore.
Let this complete and windows is again installed.
Once complete, then try to install windows 10.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not clear about the implications of this.

- Presumably, Facebook, Mail, Skype etc, won't be affected

- Word and Excel I paid for these, will I be able to restore them, including files I've created, from the back up

- Google Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer, will I have to recreate my favourites lists

- How about other things like Acrobat, Adobe, Norton etc

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Word and Excel you need to install again from either the disk or download you did originally.
Chrome you sign into if if you have not already via the three bars in the top right. Then it backs up your favorites. IE you will lose as it does not do this, but then import them into Chrome via Settings, Bookmarks and then they are backed up.
Other things that are programs you will have to install again.
All programs you will have to install again Terence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK There is a lot of preparation work to do. I will only have time to do this today, then the restore tomorrow.

Can you copy letters etc on Word, from the back up ?

How long will the factory reset take ?

What are the chances of success ?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you mean with letters, documents, then yes, you copy your documents to a backup drive.
Factory reset can take 1-2 hours
No statistics, nothing documented from Samsung or others about if it can run windows 10 and we do not know if you have a hardware issue stopping this. only way is to do this.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think I need to give this some serious thought. As you can imagine over a period of 6/7 years I have built up a lot of data, files etc. What it comes down to, is all this work worth it just to get Windows 10, after all Windows 7 has served me well. I'll let you know tomorrow my thoughts on this, and this won't affect my rating of you, you have tried to help. The one thing I don't understand, there are numerous forums where several people are complaining about exactly the same issues. Why hasn't Microsoft realised that these problems will occur in some cases.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
In any case you should have a backup in the event your hard disk faults.
This is how it always is with Microsoft. Its a balance between the supplier (Samsung) and Microsoft about who is at fault here and who should fix it.
Plus Microsoft is under a lot of pressure as there are lots of issues.
But honestly, in the end with older devices, my belief is they just do not bother, there are not enough of the models out there to warrant the investment to fix it.
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After weighing up the amount of work involved by restsoring my lap top to 'factory reset', I've decided it just doesn't make sense. I have a massive amount of programs and files which would have to be re-entered, taking several hours of work, and it could turn out that one of these programs/files has caused the problem in the first place. I'm happy with Windows 7, so have decided to stay with it.

Thanks for your help.