Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Outlook.pst hasreached its maximum size. I cannot send or receive

Outlook.pst hasreached its maximum size. I cannot send or receive messages . I cannot permanently delete anythin . I just get given the same erroe message whenever or whatever I try to delete from my Personal Folders. I can delete from my Archive folders but this does not help.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me which version of outlook you are using please?
thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2007 on Vista
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a huge amount of emails stored in various folders (both within Personal Folders & Archive Folders) - dating back to 2000!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you do the following please
Click File-> Account Settings-> Account Settings-> then tab: Data Files
Double click on the pst-file
Click the Compact Now button.
Let this complete and let me know if you can then get into it to delete or move emails
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
else let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I click 'File' (top left hand corner) I do not get 'Account Settings' as an option.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I DO get 'Data File Management..'
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, click on Data File Management please
Then your Data File, then Compact now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Under 'Name Filename Comment' I get
Personel Folders Outlook.pst in C;\ Users......' Defaultand the top options: Add Settings Set as Default Remove Open FolderAny of these any good???
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, it will depend on which one you are using.
Best to compact all of them
So double click each one and then click on compact now
When you have done each one, tell me if you have enough space then free please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was very quick 'Compacting' on Outlook.pst - then when I clicked 'OK' it said 'One or more changes you made cannot be saved. The action cannot be completed'. I think I've really stretched it to its limits. The format of this file is apparently 97-2002! I need a new computer, but don't really want to lose all my old emails just yet (Tho I must stop hoarding!)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm compacting some Archive Folders now in case this helps - though the trouble seems to be with the Outlook.pst file
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You wont need a new computer.
You can just make a new PST file
On the Home tab, in the New group, click New Items, point to More Items, and then click Outlook Data File.
this will make a new one in outlook
Then in Data File Management you can then click on this new one and set it as default and the new emails when then go into this one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still Compacting Archive file. Will follow your instructions if it ever gets finished. Can you hang on a bit?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
no rush at all!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've a feeling it may be 'hanging'. When i try to move the box around the screen it says its '(not responding)' But bit dubious about pressing 'Cancel' when it may be half-way through. What do you think?Just to fill in the time... I'm an ex-programmer -1965 (Fortran/Algol/Pl1 etc) to 2002 (Visual Basic SQL Java Script etc) No idea about this Outlook thing tho obviously.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No its working, it does this (2007 was not the best version)
Let it complete, depending on how large it may take up to an hour but it will finish. Just leave the computer alone while it is running please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh Eurika. Its done. But I need to go out now unfortunately. Thank You very much for your help, but I have got to sign off now - I'll phone up your web site again after lunch - and I might even get you again??? Otherwise i'll pay u[p again. Got to get it sorted.Just tried to SHIFT-DELETE one junk email in my Inbox. Won't do it. No change. Same error message. 'Outlook.pst has reachead its maximum size'.Over and out for time being
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, restart the computer and check if you still get the message.
I have marked this question to never close, so any issues when your back, let me know here
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues