Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I have windows xp on my system but cannot log on. It is

Hi, I have windows xp on my system but cannot log on. It is asking to activate the product which I have tried to do but it will not accept the product key when entered.
I have been using the same computer for a number of years now, why have I received this message and how can I log on.
D Gregg
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you do the following as the first step please
Power off the computer
Power on the computer and keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu.
Choose Advance Boot Options, then choose Last Known Good Configuration
Let this complete and when it has, tell me if the computer then starts please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No success, same message appears asking for product activation

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you can still enter windows XP correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not really Richard, starts up ok but immeadiately asks for product activation when I click to log on. I can access emails as I am now doing only by going through the first couple of pages of activation then going on the help link to bring up outlook express. Unable to access desktop at all onle emails.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, have to say thats very strange.
What happens when you press the windows key (next to alt) and M ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely nothing Richard

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
what is the make and model of the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's a Dell Dimension 3100

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, your going to have to do a reinstall of windows David, there is no other way to pass this if windows is not accepting your code as we cannot do any commands.
If you need to backup your data you are going to have to take it into a store and have the hard drive removed and copy the data directly from the hard drive as we cannot access it here.
Then to do the reinstall
Turn on the computer, after the Dell logo press F8 key repeatedly until the Advanced Boot Options menu (Advanced Startup Options).
In Advanced Boot Options, highlight Repair Your Computer and press Enter.
Click Next and logon to the administrator account in the computer.
Click Dell DataSafe Restore and Emergency Backup and DataSafe Options.
Choose Restore without preserving new or changed file. Click Next to continue.
Choose Yes and click Next to continue.
Progress status will appear. Click Restart to initiate the restoration process.
then windows will be reinstalled and it will then function again
But this is what you will need to do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the help Richard, I assume when I do the reinstall I will lose my documents, photographs etc. Is it possible for me to copy these to another device such as a usb,disc or another computer.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
correct, and thats what I stated in my answer, Ill repeat this section"If you need to backup your data you are going to have to take it into a store and have the hard drive removed and copy the data directly from the hard drive as we cannot access it here."If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.Thank you
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues