Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Have upgraded to Windows 10. Links in email (office outlook2003)

Customer Question

Have upgraded to Windows 10. Links in email (office outlook2003) won't open. Have tried all sorts of things. Just had a 'conversation' with a Microsoft techie. He has advised using Office 365 Home. He is 'sure this will cure problem'. This is a subscription service. There are lots of people on the community site with same problem. I have tried resetting internet explorer settings to no avail. We have two computers in house, both have the problem. I shop online so the tracking links in emails are important. Have you had other people with this problem contact you? Do you have a solution please?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Can you do the following please
Press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (Admin)
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.
Then tell me if the links now work.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Else let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did as per instructions. It got to 10% quite quickly and stayed there till about an hour ago when it disappeared. No I haven't been sitting glued to it just popped in now and again. We had started your instructions on our other PC with same problem. That is sitting on 10%. My computer is working but still no links opening. Two sums of money have been paid by paypal.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
When you say it dissapeared, you mean that windows then just started?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can't Can't say. I had been switching my screen off.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, whats the error you get when you try to open a link
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good afternoon Richard, have only just got in. My computer: no error message, just opens into IE, Google my home page.

The other computer. Followed the instructions you sent. That one showed "Preparing Automatic Repair" when we went to bed last night. We left it on as per your plea. It says "Preparing Automatic Repair" still. The fan is running almost continuously.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
so you mean to say the links do open but in IE and you want them to open in Google Chrome?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry if I am confusing you. When I click on a link in

an email it starts IE and shows Google my home page.

It doesn't open the link at all. Prior to Windows 10 when I clicked on a link it opened the actual where I needed to be eg if I clicked on an Amazon link it took me to my Amazon page. Links opened to where I needed to be not just first IE page. As the other computer has been showing Preparing Automatic Repair for over 13 hours can I assume it is not going to work and turn it off please?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes you can turn the other one off, as it has suffered a major crash meaning it does have issues but could not be repaired.IF you copy and past the link straight into IE, does it then work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. They did at one time though. That is what I was doing but some didn't work. A lot don't show the full pathway. Now if I paste link I am taken to another IE page which shows as Bing. I am in my 60s and have considered myself computer able but this is really getting me down. I realise It must be impossibly difficult for you. I have paid 56 pounds so far and really can't see an end. My efforts seem to have messed up our other computer too. Thank you for trying.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It appears to be the links that are the problem.
Put one of the links here please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry Richard, for the misunderstanding. My last message was to say that I was giving up. I was unable to put link where you asked and getting more distressed. I also can't justify the expense. Thank you again for your efforts. Sue

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok Sue... it is a pity as we have spent some time and have now ruled out most things...

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.