Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

A few days ago I began to get a problem with one of my desktop

A few days ago I began to get a problem with one of my desktop PCs. I upgraded from Win 8.1 64 –bit to Win 10 Pro on the Win 10 release and all has been well so far.
But now, I cannot place my desktop icons where I want them because each time I start the PC up again, they all gather against the left side of the screen. I have tried every setting I know about — including deleting the check against the “align icons to grid” setting to but to no avail. The icons persist in piling up and the icon setting reverts by itself. So far, my other PC – also upgraded to Win 10 Pro 64-bit – does not have the same problem.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
As the first step, can you do the following please
Press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (Admin)
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.
Then sort your icons, restart and tell me if you still have the problem please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Richard, for your message. I followed your instructions to the letter but, sadly, the problem is still there.

I look forward to further ideas for a fix.

Kind regards,

William

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks William
It will then likely be a corrupted process.
Download the free version of Rogue Killer here
http://www.adlice.com/software/roguekiller/#
Run it and remove anything it finds, then restart the computer and tell me if you still have the problem please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard,

Yes I did that. I deleted all the PUPs and PUMs that the RK scan came up with (it didn't report anything else) then restarted the machine. Unfortunately, the problem persists.

I think this is going to be a long job and MS should be made aware of it. I have noticed online that other users have the same problem but there are very few solution providers. I found one who provided details of registry fix but when I tried that it would not work because as I made the final changes to the registry an error message blocked me. Considering I am the Administrator (and the creator, as it happens) I found that strange.

If you are OK to follow this through I am happy to stay with you. Continuity might help and it isn't stopping me from using the PC. It is simply very annoying that I cannot organise my desktop

Kind regards,

William

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, it is not caused in the registry William
Can you press the windows key + R and type in
msconfig
Press enter
Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"
Then click Disable All
Click ok, restart and let me know if you still have the problem please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, Richard, It is still there.

The only noteworthy thing about that is the one service that cannot be stopped in that list - ESET Smart Security. It just will not permit itself being stopped over a Restart, which is, of course, the only way the problem can be checked.

I don't know if there is a clue here but I recall that the 'poster' of the solution I found online (which didn't work for me) that I mentioned in my previous response to you, said he found his solution on the ESET site.

Of course, I looked there to verify it before coming to Just Answer but could find nothing about.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, go to Control Panel, User Accounts and create a new user account.
Then restart the computer and sign in with this new account and do a test and tell me please if the icons now stay put.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I set up a new account but some software, including ESET remains active on all accounts on this computer, so I can't test that.

I am going to call ESET support to see if I can get any sense from them, after which I will reply to you again - one way or the other.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok... but William, did you have the problem in the new account?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry Richard, yes I did.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, go to the Control Panel, Uninstall a Program
Select ESET and uninstall it.
Then restart the computer and tell me please William if you still have the problem,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard,

I did that but the problem was still there, so I initiated contact with ESET.

The problem is under investigation and test at ESET. They are aware of it and provide a solution – when pressed. If you are interested, the procedure is simple and quick. I don’t know if the problem and solution apply to other versions but this applies to ESET Smart Security 8, which I have.
This is it:
Open the ESET software panel and select the Settings button>select Enter Advanced Setup>open Update>select Settings>select Pre-Release update.
After closing all open areas, force ESET to update.
This is supposed to completely fix the snapping icon issue.

Sadly, it didn’t work for me, so I have been back to them today and they have assured me that by the end of the day another update will be issued to fix my problem. If that doesn’t fix it they have asked me to go back to them.
Clearly, the ESET team are currently on the wrong foot with this icon problem and are understandably reluctant to admit it. However, now they have they are very helpful, as are you. So I will run with ESET for the time being but please don’t close my case. I will keep you in the picture until the end, one way or the other.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
To be honest, it is very rare of have any customers use ESET, and I have 10's of thousands of customers over the years.But I appreciate the feedback. I see no reason why their software would interfere like this, and I would advise a free alternative that does not do this, but please let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Richard,

As it happens, I have been running ESET on the three computers I have always had in use over the past five years or so and I have always found the system excellent. In that time I have never had to contact their support team before.
This seems to have been a bizarre and unexpected issue caused by one of their updates which, thankfully, they have now fixed.
I have no idea how their software interfered with desktop icons but it did, but no longer does. As promised by ESET support, today’s latest update not only stopped the icons from snapping but actually put them back where they were originally.
So, many thanks for all that you did for me but I am out of the woods now.
Much appreciated.

Kind regards,

William

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Great to hear William and thank you for the feedback.
It will have been a bug in their software, it was very odd.
If you have any other problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues