Bryan
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

When I plug the power cable into my computer the screen goes

when I plug the power cable into my computer the screen goes bkack if I pull it back out again the screen comes back on. how do I fix this problem
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question. What's the make and model of your computer? Also, are you using Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 or 10? Please reply back to me below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Using windows 10 & my PC is a HP Pavilion With 500gb SSD
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
OK. Now, please plug in the power charger to the system; when the screen goes black, hold down the FN key (on your keyboard) and tap F9 a few times. If this makes no difference, press FN + F10 instead, a few times. Do keep me posted on the results. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It does not work
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried this but it does not work
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hmm, I see. Now, please repeat the same steps, but using the following keys (one after the other):FN + F2FN + F3 Does this make any difference to your issue? Do let me know.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Please note that you will need to hold down the FN key, and then tap down the F2/F3/F9/F10 keys repeatedly (while still holding down the FN key.) Basically, we need to increase the brightness of the screen when plugged in, which is causing the issue here. Keep me posted, please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It still does not work!!
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hmm, give me one moment - be right back with further solutions.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
OK. Next, please right-click on the Power icon at the bottom-right corner of the screen, and click Power Options. Next to the active power plan, click Change plan settings. Now, set the Adjust plan brightness option all the way to the right (High), for BOTH On battery and Plugged In, and then click Save changes. Plug in the charger and test if the issue is resolved thereafter. If this does not work, please change to a different power plan from the Power Options, and re-check the issue thereafter. Do keep me posted. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pressing the keys did not work but your ref. to the brightness triggered a thought & I pressed the brightness button & hey presto it worked!!!!!!
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
OK, perfect! :) I'd appreciate it if you could kindly take a moment to RATE my service by clicking on (and submit) a star rating at the top of this page. Thank you!