Viet -MS Office Tech
Viet -MS Office Tech, Other
Experience:  Ten years of computer hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac; Microsoft Office, etc.
30037186

I have just acquired a Surface 3 tablet. I am having difficulty

Customer Question

I have just acquired a Surface 3 tablet. I am having difficulty setting up and need to be taken through the necessary steps. At present access is 'locked'. What do I need to do?
John
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Viet -MS Office Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I'm sorry about the issue. Does it have windows 8 or 10?Does it show an email address at the password ***** login screen? If yes, is that your email address? When you tried to the reset the password ***** the Microsoft / outlook website, did you follow its exact instructions there? Are you stuck at any step? Besides the tablet, do you also have another windows or mac computer that is currently working? Is it okay to reset the Surface 3 tablet fresh, so you can re-set it up fresh, like brand-new, with a new password ***** want?Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Answers.

1. 8.1

2. Yes and yes

3. Thought I did

4. Yes, Microsoft Windows 7

5. Yes.

Thank you. Please try the following: Solution #1: - On the working Windows 7 computer, go to the website below:https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx, then there, click on the option "I forgot my password", then click on Next, then enter that email address in the Microsoft account box, and enter the characters as shown on the page, then click on Next, and follow the exact instructions there in order to reset / set up a new password, then try it on the Windows 8.1 Surface tablet. Solution #2: - If that does not work, or you can just reset the tablet, please follow the steps below: Step 1: Plug in your Surface tablet, so you don’t run out of power during the refresh.Step 2: At the password ***** login screen, select Power icon in the lower-right corner of the sign-in screen.Step 3: Press and hold the Shift key., (If you're using the touch keyboard, select the Shift key.), (If you don't have a keyboard connected to your Surface, you'll need to use the on-screen touch keyboard to do these reset steps. From the Windows sign-in screen, select the Ease of access icon in the lower-left corner, and select On-Screen Keyboard, then click on the Shift key (or Up arrow key) at the left.)Step 4: While the Shift key is still pressed or selected, select Restart. If you get the prompt Restart anyway, select Restart anyway. After your Surface restarts, the Choose an option screen will appear.Step 5: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC. Surface restarts and the Surface logo appears while Windows prepares to reset your Surface.Step 6: On the Reset (your) PC screen, select Next.Step 7: Select option Just remove my files (or option Remove everything.)Step 8: Select Reset / confirm. Surface restarts and the Surface logo appears during the reset process. Once done, it will let you set up the tablet fresh, like brand-new, with a new password ***** want. Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.
Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Following steps in #2 above I got as far as step 4 but a 'choose an option' did not appear, however, I have been able to reset a password ***** has unlocked the device. The sign in screen shows the email address *****@******.*** but when I try to go on line I am told that address is no longer available-I presume because it is the email address on my windows 7 (PC), why can't I use it on the tablet?

Do you mean you are able to log in and use the tablet now? Are you able to open a program or use the tablet now?

Is it asking for a microsoft account password?

Did you try to reset your Microsoft account password at the website below:

https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx

, by using the tiscali.co.uk email address in the Microsoft account box there? (at that website, select the option "I forgot my password" first.)

Please let me know. Thank you.