dresteve2000
dresteve2000, Computer Engineer
Experience:  10+ years of Desktop, Laptop, and Server troubleshooting and support.
71208907

I upgraded windows10 home to windows10 pro on old computer.

Customer Question

I upgraded windows10 home to windows10 pro on old computer. I have just got new computer which has just upgraded to windows10 home is there any way I can transfare upgrade to pro from old computer to this computer I cannot afford to buy second upgrade
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  dresteve2000 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question! Depending on how your other computer was originally licensed, yes, you might be able to transfer it. You mentioned you upgraded from W10 home to W10 pro...was there another operating system before that?
dresteve2000, Computer Engineer
Experience: 10+ years of Desktop, Laptop, and Server troubleshooting and support.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes windows 8.1

I understand, and assuming it was Windows 8.1 Pro then correct? (therefore you were able to go to Pro without additional cost)
What kind of computer is this? Is it a laptop or desktop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi.no it was 8.1 home when I upgraded to windows10 home I had to pay to upgrade home to pro

they are both desktop the new one is all in one .

sorry I have to go to bed now I will look for your reply tomorrow

I understand now. So when you purchased that upgrade did you receive a license key with it via email? I will await your reply tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hullo again no it just upgraded over internet

I understand, and you never got any sort of email confirmation for your purchase of the upgrade?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi again only email I got was just a thank you for purchase. I found licence key using belarc app and noticed it was different from windows home that was on old computer

Great, so this should be your key for W10 pro..since you purchased it as a Retail Upgrade you would be able to transfer it. So on the computer you are wanting to upgrade at this time can you let me know the status of it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't actualy know what you mean by status

but if its make and so forth , it is a Lenovo 50-30 all in one came with windows 8.1 and is now upgraded to windows 10 home

Right, so now when you go to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro does it ask you for a license key?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I haven't tried it yet I don't think you can use same licence twice but I was wondering if I put old computer back too factory coud I use licence for new computer I want to be sure before I attempt it

You can try to use the same license again to see what happens, as it should deactivate the other, but yes to be safe if you would like go ahead to return the other computer to factory, just be sure to note the key before doing this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for your help I will try that and see

No problem, please let me know if it does not work for some reason and I can try to assist you to find another route
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks again I will

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hullo again just to finish off to tell you if it will help someone else.

I went to activation in settings and entered pro licence key it upgraded to pro but when I looked windows would not activate, so I went back to activatipn in settings and entered original licence key for window on this computer and it activated hope this helps someone else

thanks for all your help

Great, glad that worked for you! Thanks for the information. Have a good day and thanks for using Just Answer!