Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

I'm Mike. I recently purchased a windows 8.1 tablet from Hong Kong and it worked

Hi. I'm Mike. I recently purchased a windows 8.1 tablet from Hong Kong and it worked fine although some descriptions in settings were in Chinese. I yesterday upgraded to Windows 10, but it's all in Chinese, and so I must revert to 8.1 When I get to Recovery I click the second option down, but it doesn't do anything. Can you help me get this windows 10 in English
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. What model tablet is it? Which recovery section did you go into?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Vido W7. I went to Settings - Update & Security - Recovery - Windows 8.1 and then it was all in Chinese and I don't know where to go from there
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok please open settings but this time click the icon that looks like an A and a Clock.
Click the second option on the left.
Now click on the top drop down to choose your region.
After that click on the + sign to add languages and add English.
Once you have select it as your display language by clicking on it.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I got to the ENGLISH page, English (United States) and English (United Kingdom) were both faded out. They both appear below the + sign on the page you sent me to. When I click English (United Kingdom) I get three options. What now?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok that means the language pack is already installed, on those 3 options choose the one all the way to the left which is "set as default".
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's faded out, like the right hand one. Only the middle is bold
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Faded means it is already the default.
The middle is an options button.
Now please restart and it should be in English now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've restarted and nothing has changed.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
That is odd, you can try removing chinese where we just added english, if not when you open recovery how many options do you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In Recovery I get 3 options. The second one down is headed Windows 8.1 and the words underneath include Windows 10
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Incidentally, the last time I tried removing Chinese, it refused because it said that was the program language - or something like that.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok if you have 3 the second should be the revert option, if it is not working though you can try restoring to the factory image which would be the 3rd one down.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's worked in that I now get 5 options. Top includes the words Windows 10. The next 3 boxes all include Windows 8.1 with different Chinese after them and the bottom is all Chinese. Under this is a long box in which I can write, but the inscription is all chinese
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
You would want to use the system image please note however it will go back to factory settings meaning whatever you added since then will be gone and you will have to add again. Here is a picture of each icon in case yours it set differently.
http://cdn5.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/img_559091c073535.png
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys - it is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm afraid there are no images there, only click boxes, so I don't know which to click, although I assume it should be one of the 3 Windows 8.1 boxes
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately I can not tell you without seeing it which one for sure, but yes it would be one of those 3. You could use trial and error. None of them will stop it from working but as I mentioned the factory one will reset everything you added to it as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't want to lose what I've put on, so I'll get back to you later after my trial and error attempts.. How do I do that?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
As I said one of them will lose things so you do not want to use trial and error if you are afraid of that. You can get back to me by going to justanswer.co.uk and clicking on my questions at the top. Can you send me a picture of what you see? I may be able to get it translated to find out which one to avoid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just tried to get a screenshot, but it switched off instead. I'll get back to you as you have indicated.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, you can take a picture with something else and send me that way as well. Take all the time you need to get back to me. Please do not reply until then this site forces me to be the last to reply on the page.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I hope you can see enough in the attached photo. I went Settings - Update & Security - Recovery - ***Windows 8.1. I'd be very grateful if you could tell me which box to tick, and which of the bottom pair of boxes to click.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
I can not be 100% sure since I can not read Chinese but it looks like you are at the screen that should be (with an explanation of each):
First :Keep my files will keep your saved personal files. This is the quickest option, but if thee issue stems from your personal files, it may not correct the problem.
Second: Remove everything this deletes all of your files, personal settings, and installed apps.
Third: Restore factory settings deletes all files, apps, settings and reverts the device to the version of Windows that came factory installed. This option is only available for those who upgraded their devices from a previous version of Windows.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fine thanks, ***** ***** of the two boxes at the bottom should I then click
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
As I mentioned but I can not be sure and the ones I just gave you are the ones that should say 8.1 meaning you most likely want to check the first one that says 8.1 on it. So the second from the top. Then the left button at the bottom should be the ok/confirm button.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great. I'll tey that now and get back to you later. Thanks
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.