Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Since updating to Windows 10 my Microsoft outlook has been

Customer Question

since updating to Windows 10 my Microsoft outlook has been very erratic most of the time the program fails to loan my e-mail messages with the message "not responding" any advice will be appreciated
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
As the first step can you do the following please as this is the most common resolution for this issue.
Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)'
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.
Then restart the computer and tell me if it has now improved.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Else let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am at the stage where I have to restart the computer - how do I get back to this page after I have done this so I can rate your answer ?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Please return to this webpage (you can press CTRL + D to add it to your favorites).Then when you return, post a message like you are doing now and it will come straight to me.Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****, Sadly your fix didn't last long. Microsoft Office E-mails crashed again yesterday and also when I tried to close the program it failed to do so . So I had to turn off the computer manually, then turn off the modem. (then went to bed) this morning I turned everything back on and it all work OK. But this was what happened before your fix so I am not sure whether your fix worked or it was just co-incidence ! I would appreciate your views thank you
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me the version of outlook you are using please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi it just says Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 if there is more you will have to tell me how to find out thanks gill
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, the version is outlook 2007
Has it crashes again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes yesterday, I have found that if I turn the computer off while the programme is still running using the power button not the software version (which closes the program down first) then when I turn the computer back on it works. Should I perhaps just leave the computer on all the time (something I don't really like to do) Gill
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, that's not a real solution Gill.
Can you close all programs.
Click on the windows logo in the bottom left, then click on All Programs, then click on Microsoft Office, then on Office Diagnostics
Run this and let it complete any repairs it needs to do.
Then restart the computer and tell me if you still have the problem please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Gill
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done that and it said "no issues found" and suggested I log onto a web page for the next step, but when I did that it said page not found or page out of date. I will try logging out and see if the e -mails are Ok Gill
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just logged back on and all seems Ok, shall I let you know if I have a problem in the future thanks Gill
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes please Gill
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****, Just to let you know that Microsoft Outlook was working ok until I went out today and the computer turned itself off after the allotted time. When I returned I restarted the Computer and got the message not responding. In a fit of pique I turned off the computer using the power switch, left it off for about an hour and when I turned it on again Microsoft Outlook started up without any problems ! again any ideas ? Gill
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gill!
I want you to repair the PST file please
To do this go to Start, Computer
Go to c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12
Run the file scanpst
Then in this program click browse
At the top of the window, type in %appdata%
Press enter.
Click on Appdata at the top
Then click on Local, Microsoft, Outlook, outlook.pst
Run the Scan and repair, then restart the computer and tell me please if it then freezes
else Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****, When I get to Office12 I do not have a pst file only the following
1033
MsoExample Setup File A
MSOHEVI.DLL
VISSHE.DLLI have tried to search for pst file but to no avail. I am reluctant to accept your log on offer on cost grounds especially as I had none of these problems before I "upgraded" to Windows 10. In my view Microsoft should pay me for the aggravation they have caused, but I appreciate that's not your problem Gill
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
do you have a folder office14?
Check for scanpst there please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no folder with Office14
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You may have it hidden
Click Start, Computer
Than Organise (Top), Folder and Search Options
Click View
Click Show Hidden Files, Folders and drives
Untick Hide Extensions for known file types
And uncheck Hide Protected Operating System Files
Click ok.
then look for it please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
done that (got a warning about hide protected operating system files didn't like me unticking that, but I did it) no new files have appeared in Office 12 and Office 14 still doesn't exist
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
tell me exactly the path your in please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This pc>System (c:)>Program files>Microsoft office>Office12>
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, check if you have C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\
And look for it there then pleease
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have got as far as browse but where exactly do I type %appdata% if I do it in "search" it says no matching criteria If I do it in the main box I get a list but no heading Appdata is in that list
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you type it in the address bar in the browse box
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
then get a message "file does not exist type a valid file name " the box has the Heading Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Inbox repair tool
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
on exactly which step are you Gill?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I typed %appdata% in the box next to the browse button, where is says type the name of the file you want to scan so I did not click browse as you instructed earlier as I thought that was your
latest instruction
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You do not type it in the File Name box, but the address bar please Gill
In the address bar in the windows that opens when you click browse, you type in
%appdata%
Then press enter
Click on Appdata at the top
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See my earlier answer, when I do that I do not get Appdata at the top of that list or anywhere that I can see but I will try again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I do that I get Appdata>roaming but no Local , Microsoft etc in the list that pops upMicrosoft is in the list but when you click on it no Outlook comes up
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Gill, this works, I do this daily and I see your previous answer"I typed %appdata% in the box next to the browse button, where is says type the name of the file you want to scan "That's not what I am asking you to do....You do not type it in the File Name box, but the address bar please Gill In the address bar in the windows that opens when you click browse, you type in %appdata% Then press enter Click on Appdata at the top Then click on Local, Microsoft, Outlook, outlook.pst Run the Scan and repair, then restart the computer and tell me please if it then freezes
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your second reply is also not following the instructions correctly.Please, take the time and follow the instructions exactly as I am specifying them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry I do not understand "File Name box" or Address Bar there are only two boxes I can type in the window that opens when I click browse has two boxes at the top and I have typed it in both and neither works one has in it "This pc> documents" which I have removed and typed in %appdata% the other box say Search. There are no other boxes to type in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Richard it's late and I have to go now I will try again tomorrow and see if I do better when I am fresh (I have seen File Name box but that is at the bottom and I have not typed anything in there !)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****, I don't know if you are there now but I am back where we left off last night. I have "browsed" and typed %appdata% into the address bar into the screen that appears after that. After I do that and press enter I get Appdata>roaming shown in the address bar but do not get AppData at the top of the list shown in the box beneath the address bar. My list starts at Adobe , ATI, Fujitsu Launch Centre, and finishes at Teamviewer. Can you work out from that where I am going wrong. Incidentally I now cannot open any new e-mails I get the message "cannot open"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard I guess you are not there I will try again tomorrow Gill
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard, I am disappointed you haven't responded to my messages of yesterday if you are there now I will get back to where I was. Fortunately I can now open my e-mails I wait to hear from you Gill