Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I have Outlook Express email facility. when I log-in to Outlook

Customer Question

I have Outlook Express email facility.
when I log-in to Outlook Express and click on 'send/recve' button
It notifies me that I have (say) ten emails queuing, and goes on
to number them 'receiving' 1 to 10 in sequence before passing emails to
my INBOX. - however not all the emails are transferred into INBOX
(so - out of 10 expected emails I will only get 7 or 8 into INBOX
If I am receiving six emails - only 4 or 5 appear in my INBOX).
I DO NOT HAVE A 'JUNK' folder nor do the emails appear lower
down in INBOX they just have vanished - Why??
Can you please advise me as to what is happening and how my Emails
can be programmed to come in with no omissions
thank you
Selwyn Cooper, IPSWICH UK
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues. Are you using Windows XP computer? Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further. A rating is only required when we are finished.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I am using Windows XP

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information. Can you please tell me the email folders that you have there in your Outlook Express? I am referring to folders like Inbox, Outbox, etc. Do you have a lot of custom-created folders there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The folders I have in Outlook Express are:-

Inbox - Outbox - Sent Items - Deleted Items

Funnies - Drafts - Pearl

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information.Now, when your Outlook says you have, for instance, 10 new emails, but you only get 8. Then your Inbox folder shows the number (8) in bold next to your Inbox. Is this correct? If so, do you see other bold numbers next to email folders which can indicate that the emails were routed there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I believe in this case it showed 8 in bold by Inbox
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
But did you see your other email folders if they too have bold numbers next to them which indicates that the other 2 emails could have been routed there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I checked but the missing emails were not in my other

email account (incredimail) - no trace of them anywhere

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Oh no! Not in your Incredimail. I am referring to your other email folders in your Outlook Express. Are you saying that your Outlook Express email folders have no unread emails now? Unread emails in an email folder are indicated by bold numbers near the email folder name.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no - nothing showing in other folders

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Based on your described behavior, this can be caused by a filter or a message rule. Are you using message rules? I suggest that you delete them. Here are the steps:To delete a rule:On the Tools menu, point to Message Rules, and then click Mail.Click the rule you do not want, click Remove, and then click Yes.Click OK.If you found rules there and deleted them, please close MS Outlook and then open it again. Then test it by using your other email accounts to send emails to this Outlook Express email and see if ti works better this time.Keep me posted.Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I noticed that you posted a duplicate question. Please let us continue here.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
***@******.*** (Selwyn here)My last request from Jess M. was to advise you of my Outlook Address settings.
Where do I look to find these settings ???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry - but I have no more time to spare with you, for trying resolve my problem
therefore, having received no answer to my last question could you please refund
the money I have paid, but thanks for all your effort and help
Selwyn (*****@******.***)
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for writing back and I am very sorry for the persisting issues. I was waiting for your reply here but I noticed that you created a duplicate question.
Do you still want to continue fixing and troubleshooting your Outlook Express problems? There are still few procedures that I can give you should you want to continue.
Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jess,
seemed to get a bit complicated yesterday
yes., - if you can continue to try resolve this email problem
You asked me for my Outlook Express settings (where do I find them, I can't remember)
Selwyn
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
The procedures I gave you before was about email rules. With rules, Outlook Express can automatically delete emails without making copies of them in your Inbox.To delete a rule:Locate the Tools menu and click on itPoint to Message Rules, and then click Mail.Are there rules defined there? Is yes, select a rule then click Remove, and then click Yes.Do these steps until all rules are removed.Click OK.If you found rules there and deleted them, please close MS Outlook and then open it again. Then test it by using your other email accounts to send emails to this Outlook Express email and see if ti works better this time.Keep me posted.Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jess,
I had NO rules boxes ticked in my message rules file.I have sent 6 test messages from Incredimail to Outlook Express -
I only received test message no: 6 (the other five have not appeared)
in either Outlook Express, Incredimail or Mailwasher (my incoming mail security programme)Selwyn
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Selwyn,Thank you for writing back. So you have Mailwasher and I believe it is the one deleting the emails since it could have detected it as spam or malicious emails. Please try to turn off Mailwasher then try sending emails to your Outlook Express email account and let me know.Also, please tell me the email account in that Outlook Express program so that I can send you test emails too. Just break the email address when you type in your reply by putting spaces before and after the @ sign, like myemail @ gmail.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jess, your email came through on Incredimail, but no sign of test messages..
re: 'Mailwasher' This is operated manually,- when I open it up it lists the emails pending
denoting which are suspected spam messages - so I can edit the list before forwarding
messages to Outlook Express or Incredimail (emails receiving are numbered up, but
same thing happens when they are listed there are always a few short.for my account to send your message please send to email @ pearlwyn.go-plus.net
Incidently I have had this email address for almost ten years now without problems
till just recently
Selwyn
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Please give me a moment to try sending you test emails.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jess,
I recvd 3 emails from you (tho the third one came listed as suspected spam
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Wow, sounds good! I sent you 3 emails from my 3 accounts as a test. I believe Mailwasher is blocking the emails that you were missing?Can you please check if this Mailwasher has a service running in the background? I believe it has, and can you please temporarily turn off that service to test Outlook Express further and isolate the issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jess,
sorry I don't think Mailwasher is the problem, as I have had it not in use for past month,
only opened it a couple of times to check if receiving missing mails,
but the problem is same whether Mailwasher enabled or not,
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information. But I believe your Outlook is working better now since you were able to get the 3 emails I sent in succession.I believe that the problem is NOT with Outlook Express either since you do not have any RULES that are actively running. Only rules can alter the emails you are receiving since with rules, you can automatically delete emails based on criteria or rules you set. Since there are no rules in place, it means Outlook is not deleting emails accidentally.The next thing to check is your Mailwasher options if you can explorer them since this is the only program that can interfere with your emails. Are there options there in that program that you can check that could have blocked or delete emails?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jess....Have checked Mailwasher settings (all seem fine) - Have also emailed Mailwasher explaining the
problem and asking them to investigate and let me know their findings,
Will let you know what they answer (maybe tomorrow now)
regards
Selwyn
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Selwyn,Thank you for writing back with that information. Yes, please take your time and let me know their reply any time.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jess M.
further to my earlier answer in respect of referring to Mailwasher concerning missing emails,
which I was certain had nothing to do with them. Please see below part of their answer
in which they confirm their procedure
quote
Thanks for your email.
No, its not likely MWP doing this, as you need to specifically set up MWPro to auto delete emails for this to happen, and you can always check in the "recycle bin" to see all emails that MW has actually deleted anyway...?However, most importantly, Mailwasher never ever sends, transfers or moves any email on to your email program.- Mail arrives on the mail server.
- Mailwasher checks for new mail on the mail server and displays it. The email will remain on the mail server.
- Mailwasher deletes the unwanted mail from the mail server.
- Good remaining mail stays on the mail server.
- Your email program starts and downloads the remaining email from the mail server all by itself.You see Mailwasher is not involved in the process getting the email from the mail server to your email program.
unquote.Thus we seem to be back to square one, no further explanation for cause of missing emails
has been received
Selwyn
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Selwyn,I really doubt that. Please let me quote their statements:Mail arrives on the mail server.Mailwasher checks for new mail on the mail server and displays it.The email will remain on the mail server.Mailwasher deletes the unwanted mail from the mail server.Good remaining mail stays on the mail server.Your email program starts and downloads the remaining email from the mail server all by itself.You see Mailwasher is not involved in the process getting the email from the mail server to your email program.If you notice #4 in their statement, Mailwasher deletes emails from your mailserver even before Outlook Express downloads them. That is actually how this works! Outlook can only mess up with your emails using rules since that is the only way it (Outlook Express) can manipulate the emails. And you just confirmed you have no rules there so Outlook is just fetching emails and show them for you.You have 2 options from this point.First, you can entirely turn off Mailwasher for few days or weeks, and allow those "unwanted" emails to arrive in your Outlook. Regardless if they are junk or spam or contains malicious attachments, your antivirus can and should protect your system - not Mailwasher. Then see if the problem is gone.Second, do not turn off mailwasher, but check your emails through the webmail (NOT Outlook Express) if you know how to access it in your web browser. Then there you need to check if you have rules or filters there, besides Mailwasher, that is filtering your emails.Another thing to note is, can you please confirm if in your Outlook Express, is your email account setup as POP or IMAP? I am asking because only Mailwasher can interfere with your emails since you only have it and Outlook Express accessing your email account in the mail server. This is what likely to happen if you are using IMAP:You open Outlook first and it downloaded for instance 20 emails including some junkIn your Outlook you will see that you have 20 emails downloadedYou run Mailwasher and it finds the 20 emails there but detected 5 as unwanted and deletes themWhen your Outlook Express syncs the account to your mail server, the 5 emails will be gone in your Outlook ExpressThat is a possible scenario.Regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jess,
sorry,seems to have confused you re mailwasher
Mailwasher DOES NOT delete any emails itself
When I bring up Mailwasher programme I click on the button 'check mail'
resulting in mailwasher showing a list of emails that have been in pipeline
(any that are blacklisted or suspected as 'spam' is highlighted for me to physically check)
I check these and the rest of the emails, and any that I do not want I delete them along
with the spam messages. The good messages remain on the list until I open Outlook Express
and press the 'send/receive' button which brings the emails into Outlook Express 'Inbox'.
I do not believe Mailwasher has anything to do with missing emails - and their confirmation
of procedure confirmed this.
My settings show I have POP3.go-plus.net
We seem to have gone as far as we can go on this, if you dont mind
we will leave problem as it is - and if any further ideas or developments
this end I will contact you again
thanks for all your work
Selwyn
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Selwyn,Thank you for writing back and I am very sorry for the confusion. I just quoted the procedures that the Mailwasher tech sent you and #4 was alarming to me. Thus, I made that last reply to you.Nevertheless, I will still highly recommend turning off Mailwasher for a reasonable amount of time to test if it is indeed causing the problem. You can stop using it for 10 to 15 days and you shall be safe especially if your computer has an updated antivirus software. Besides, when it comes to spam, Outlook Express also has the capability to detect spam.The main reason I believe that Mailwasher is part of the problem, besides #4 statement from their tech, is because it is THE ONLY PROGRAM that interferes your email account FROM the email server. So it is either with Outlook Express or with Mailwasher. You have confirmed that you have no RULES and filters in your Outlook Express so definitely it is not causing the problem. So please try to NOT use Mailwasher for 15 days and see if the problem is gone.Thank you very much.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jess,
further to earlier problem re missing emails.
I brought up OUTLOOK EXPRESS this morning and clicked 'send/recve' button
indicated that there were 4 emails for me- and marked them 1,2,3,4. then nothing happened.
no emails into my inbox also not messages in brackets shown by inbox folder.
My AVG security check also indicated there were 4 emails incoming.
I Tried my alternative email account INCREDIMAIL to 'get messages' and was told 'no messages'.
Can you help please??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Jess my earlier message to you should read ion 4th line 'no messages' instead of 'not messages'
also forgot to sign it from Selwyn
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Selwyn,I am very sorry about your persisting issues. Have you run your Mailwasher before this happened?Also, can you please check your Outlook Express settings to see if it allows emails to be left on the server or not? If it is deleting emails after 14 days, please set it to leave emails and NOT to delete them so that your Incredimail can fetch those missing emails.Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jess,
nice hearing from you again
No, Mailwasher had not been used prior to me looking at Outlook Express.
(In fact I am abiding by your suggestion and not using Mailwasher at all.
I have not touched any of my settings this year even, and I do not have
any instruction to delete messages after 14 days, (Not necessary as I never go away anywhere)
I am permanently at home.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jess, I am signing off now, will await to hear from you later
Selwyn
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Selwyn,Can you check your Outlook settings to see if it is leaving the emails in the server?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jess,
Just one more point before I go to bed.
A short while ago, upon recommendation (I think from Microsoft).
They advised that I stop using Internet Explorer, and install Google Chrome instead.
I did this, making Google Chrome my Browser.
Could this have been the cause of my email program not working properly ?
Incidently since last message from you I sent a tester to myself (using incredimail, It took well over
an hour to appear in my Incredimail Inbox...
Selwyn