Bryan
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I got an alert while online headed SYSTEM ALERT The message

I got an alert while online headed SYSTEM ALERT The message was that a dormant virus was going to be reactivated and to phone(###) ###-####0585 otherwise my personal data would be at risk. Was this a bona vide alert or a scam?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question. Please rest assured; it looks like you inadvertently chanced upon a rogue website which shows these kinds of false popups/alerts about your system, in order to trick users to purchasing and downloading their unwanted programs and other malware. As long as you did not click or download anything from that page, you should be just fine. If this popup/alert continues to show up on your browser or system now as well, do let me know and I'll walk you through cleaning it out accordingly. Otherwise, a positive rating (at the top of the page) would be much appreciated. Thank you :)