Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I am trying to do a calculation in Word (2011) but

I am trying to do a calculation in Word for Mac (2011) but can't get the answer to calculate whatever I do. I am testing on a really simple addition of two numbers and have both set to calculate on exit and the answer calculate on exit NOT ticked.
My answer shows 0 whatever I do!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcome
Can I look at your file please to see the issue?
- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File ID: 473738
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** File 807962You will see I have inserted a formula in the third cell with the formula =sum(left) so it sums the values to the leftIts this method you use to do the calulations within Word.Let me know how you go please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where can I see that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
AH YOUR FILE! OK I'll take a look
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That won't work in my document as I'm not using a table
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm using variables from one part of the form to caluclate variables in another
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I see no form on your copy you gave me...
Sorry I dont really understand your response.
Did you see how I am doing the calculations?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure you sent me the right file?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've extracted the basic calculation out of the document to isolate the problem. I don't want to use a table. I want to enter a variable in one place and have a calculation perfored that inserts the answer in another part of the document. I will do a mock up for you to explain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File ID: 919996
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
checking it now
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I see what your doing, like this
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
can you open that?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
but if I may, I think your doing it much harder then it needs to be, why do you not use Excel for this? Word is not made for this, this is what Excel is for.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excel is not a word processor.
Is the only thing you changed calculate on exit in the Total?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No on all fields as each time you exit one you calculate.I am doing it on yours now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still can't get mine to work. Is it the way you navigate? .e.g. do I have to tab? THe only thing I can see is the results, not why it works now
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Did you also protect it? but give me 1 minute I am doing your version now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
AHH!!! You've got them as numbers!! But you can't do that on a dropdown|?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
correct! needs to be as numbers
Like here File ID 508526
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So how do I do it with a dropdown?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you cannot, has to be a number field
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, how do I 'select' from a list of variables for calculations?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you cannot in word, this is why I am asking you if you want to use word as it is very limited to calculating in the way I showed you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And as I said I do. Can I not use something like this in a calculationIF address = 23MT THEn NUM1 = 80
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yees you would do that with this formula=if(address="23MT",80,0)But you cannot assign another cell to have a value, just the calculation cell itself
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmm
I'll have to havea think about it. The document processing side of things is complex and the formatting wouldn't work in Excel. I might be able to do something in a pdf
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Formatting can be pretty nice in excel...
Especially when you blank out cells ect, can look exactly the same.
But how did you go with my if statement? Could you get it to work?
And I do not mean to harp on about Excel, I just do not want you going down the Word path and then you end up in a year with a big complex document thats impossible to manage, have seen it happen many times in the past, thats the only reason I being it up :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll send you the document..File ID: 907490
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It;s a bit rough at hte moment as I've been playing with autopopulating it
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, and where did you want the if statement and what if statement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The basic idea is that I can select/input
a rent amount per week - this could just be typed in as a number variable,
an address (which determines the number of bedrooms - here's one potential for a 'what if' statement, but I'd have to embed that in each calculation, which isn't impossible? and
a number of weeks for the length of the contract (this can just be typed in)
And then the document would be populated with the rental amounts in the quarterly schedule.I think I'll just avoid combo boxes and use number variables for now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So,
the YEARLY rent is51 or 52 weeks x =if(address="23MT",80,0) x =if(address="23MT",80,6)The rent from 29th June is13 x the same IF statements as above?Then I'd have to have a list of IF statements for each house? IF this could work, what would the syntax for this be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I might have confused you with the 'rent from 29th June bit - that's just another version of the same thing - it's a quarterly rent payment installment. If it works for the YEARLY rent, then it will work for other periods too.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, sorry a little confused, but normal as you know this subject inside out.So break it down to exactly in your words how the if statement should work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The calculation in words is..IF the house being rented is 23MT, then the rent per week per tenant will be £80, the number of tenants will be 6 and the rent per YEAR will be52 * weekly rent * no tenants = 52 * 80 * 6and the rent for the summer term will be13 * weekly rent * no tenants =
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then in each gorm cell you would use an If Statement How they work is below=if(what to check,if try, if false) So in this case of rent you would put in the rent box =if(Cell with house = "23MT",80,if(cell with house = "24MT",100,if(cell with house="25MT",120))) And just keep repeating for all the possible houses you have
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, but what's a gorm cell?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh a form cell?! I thought it was my ignorance of word!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Form, sorry, typo :)
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
haha, I even googled Gorm Cell!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think that might work. I'll do a mock up out of the actual document and try it.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, let me know how you go please and if you get stuck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I can get the condition to work if the text box variable is a number, but not if it is text which is where we came from before?
So, if the condition is 23MT I can't get it to work so far
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
=IF(house1=23,6,0) works
but
=IF(house1="23MT",6,0) doesn't
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, checking and its not possible to do it based on text, it is limited to numerical values, so you just need to keep it as 23, not 23MT
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so I'd have to have an index for any non-numeric variables. Hmm thinking...
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, and then use this and keep it only to numerical values.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to take the weekend to mull it all over. I'm trying to make things easier, but as you say, Word isn't ideal for this!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thats the whole problem here, this is not what words made for
I have marked the question to never close so any issues just let me know on Monday, this is no problem.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated .
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will do thanks