Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Cannot play Microsoft solitatre collection or Sudoku! Initial

Customer Question

Cannot play Microsoft solitatre collection or Sudoku!
Initial screen comes up and then just sits there with nothing happening.
This is the second day now!
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
On which site are you playing it and via which browser please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Windows 10. Laptop. Xbox ap which works.
Microsoft solitaire collection when selected goes through the first steps until it comes up loading. It either sits on that screen or with the circle of dots rotating. This goes on for ever until stopping it by clicking on the top RH corner.
Microsoft Sudoku just sits on the start screen, again for ever.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you do the following please
Press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (Admin)
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.
Then check if they open
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Else let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would be a lot happier if you took control and ran this process for me.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No problem at all, please accept the request that is showing and I can then do this for you
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Please click on this link and click I Agree and run the file please
http://www.justanswer.co.uk/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=54a999ea-a41c-402d-b0b1-56f9c628aed7
I will then be able to connect
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, it seems you lost connection to the internet as it ddisconnected me,
You need to run this last command in that black window pleasew
chkdsk /r
Press enter
Then check if they open
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Restrted.
I forget what is supposed to happen next
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still there?
Is anything happening?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, you were meant to wait for me to do the next command, you restarted to early thats why I said WHEN we restart :) so you need to do it all over againI signed off as I though you lost internet, but do the following and it should now run.Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin) A black window will open. Type in it sfc /scannow press enter and when it has completed, type in chkdsk /r Press enter. It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer. Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has. Than try the gamesLet me know the results
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
PS it restarted by itself
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Good Morning
Left the scan/repair going overnight because at 11% it appeared stuck. For over 90 mins I watched it and was tempted to stop it! But left it running.
This morning the machine had gone to sleep with the job completed.
Tried those games and they worked.
Tried other things along the task bar (mail, micro edge0 and nothing happened!
Slowly the whole machine was grinding to a halt. No apps worked. Eventually no response even from the games.
So pressed the button to power off.
Restated and it has slowly come to life.
Have you any idea as to why this sequence of events took place?
In the mean time thank you.
I will leave this in case further things take place or not as the case may be
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Follow up to my message this morning.
Up until the last 2 hours all was working OK
Then the Xbox controlled game Microsoft Solitaire Collection now refuses to sign in.
It goes right through to the end where in the top RH corner a circle has a series of dots spinning round. Sadly they do not stop and complete the signing in!
Have you any ideas?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok, when did these problems all start?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Richard.
I now think this problem has been sorted.
I had a new router supplied because the 'wireless' on the old one stopped working.
It appears the new one started picking up interference which has now been rectified by TalkTalk changing the frequency.
The signing in is now virtually instantly!
So can we just leave things as they are for a couple of days and hopefully we will be able to say all is OK.
The procedure we ran the other night is it worth remembering to run on a adhoc basis to clear any hidden problems?
Thanks for all the help you have given me
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, I actually advise to run the procedure once a month to avoid data corruption.

If you have any issues, just let me know here, this is no problem.