Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I have win8.1 and expressed an interest in win10. I do not

I have win8.1 and expressed an interest in win10. I do not wish to proceed with win10 but cannot load windows updates because windows 10 always appears as the first choice of update.
Can you please tell me how to get rid of the 'booking' for win10 so that I can load my updates as normal.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
To do this, Go to Control Panel, Windows Updates.
Click on the 8 important updates are available and uncheck the one next to windows 10.
This will tell the computer to then ignore it for you.
If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have unticked but when I try to load the important updates it just reverts to trying to download windows 10. I have tried several times but the same thing happens

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
exactly which update did you uncheck?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Upgrade to windows 10 home in the 8-optional

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Click this link and tell me the exact version you have
http://whatsmyos.com/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your OS is Windows 8.1* 64-bit

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if its downloading its too late via this method.
You may not actually be able to stop the donload (but it will still not install, that you have to allow)
But this trick can work to stop it
First, download the patch from my link below
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=a5713587-f0f7-4878-b81b-784755a7c03f
Open up your registry editor using the Start Menu search or by pressing WIN + R and typing regedit and hitting enter, and then navigate down to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
You’ll probably have to create the WindowsUpdate key on the left-hand side, which you can do by right-clicking the Windows node. Click on that new key, and then create a new 32-bit DWORD called DisableOSUpgrade on the right-hand side, and give it a value of 1.
Then restart the computer and tell me if it still downloads please
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need to stop just now. Can we pick this up later please?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, but if it still downloads after doing this, you cannot stop the download, but again, it does not mean it gets installed,. you have to allow that still.I have marked the question to never close, so just let me know if you have any problems.And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.Thank you