Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Just had my laptop restored to windows 7 after windows 10 was

Just had my laptop restored to windows 7 after windows 10 was a disaster, now I can't run certain apps as I keep getting messages to upgrade my browser, but it is suggested to upgrade to 11 which when I try says windows 7 will not suppot it?????
x
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me one of the apps that is giving this message please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Basically my hotmail account and other ones , my computer just does'nt work as it used to.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Irene.
Can you do the following please in Internet Explorer
Please do the following in Internet Explorer
Click Tools (the gear wheel top right) than Internet Options
Click on the General Tab and Delete all Temporary Internet Files.
Than click the Advance Tab and click Reset
Then restart the computer and tell me if it now functions correctly.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tried what you suggested, restarted computer and got 'do not turn off your laptop install 1 0f 11 updates', an hour and a half later it was still on no1. Turned computer off & on nothing has changed.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
restart the computer again please Irene, so any updates can be applied then tell me if you still have the issue please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, it carried on installing updates, but nothing has changed, I can veiw my emails but not send any.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.
Then test and tell me if you can now send emails please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is a box at the bottom right of the screen which says protected mode on, is the relevant?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, that means you do not have internet explorer 11 yet.
but did you do the last instructions I gave Irene?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not yet waited to hear back.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, please do the last instructions I gave and Let me know the results please
Protected mode is normal and is not part of this problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Followed instructions, took about two & half hours, but no difference, can't continue tonight, normal life to get on with. Cheers

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, when you are back Irene, can you now try to install Internet Explorer 11 from my link below
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer-11-for-windows-7-details.aspx
Let me know the results please
Richard, Software Engineer