Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I have had my surface pro 3 since August and just cannot get

Customer Question

I have had my surface pro 3 since August and just cannot get anywhere with it. Firstly when I first bought it I only had a yahoo email address so gave an old hotmail address which I used years ago on a social networking site. I want to cancel that one for my outlook address then I would like to go back to scratch and start all over again
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
What you need to do is reset the Tablet so it is returned to new, and you can set it all back up again.
To do this
On the log in screen, hold down the SHIFT button and with it held down, click the power icon and choose restart. Keep SHIFT held until it has restarted into a menu. Choose Troubleshoot, then Reset my PC. This returns the PC to new, so you can set it up again.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When the keyboard is on the screen it obscures the power icon so I can't do what you ask.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok you will have to connect an external keyboard to the Surface via the USB port and do it this way please via the external keyboard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a keyboard/cover for my surface, can I use that

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, any external keyboard will work for this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So far so good. I now have 2 options: I have no files or anything so just to make sure, do I click in remove everything

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
correct
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Getting there slowly. I now have to use my PC to get the recovery key. The key ID is C952341D

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
the process can take some time to reinstall, but once it has its as new again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Once I have done that I should be home and dry then I will start again from scratch. I have downloaded some instructions from my PC so hopefully I should be able to get going again.

will you be able to hang on a bit longer while I try and get the recovery key

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes this is no problem, just don't forget the rating please of my service when you are ready.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have been sent a security code on my yahoo email address but it is not a recovery key and the number I have been given hasn't been accepted. The message I get says the last six digits are incorrect.

Don't worry I won't forget to rate you. You have been extremely patient and very helpful.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, when you say recovery key you mean the password ***** sign into your Microsoft account?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it doesn't mean my password ***** I have already tried that. I went on to windows,microsoft.com/recoverykey like the screen on my surface suggested and it gave me a key ID ....C952341D in case I needed it. They have come back to me on my yahoo address with this security code(###) ###-####and they say to use the security code for my microsoft hotmail account which is the one I want to get rid of.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I am not exactly following what you are now doing Pat.
What exactly is the surface asking you for now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It came up with an error message which I cancelled and tried to get into the previous screen. It has now gone back to the log in screen and I tried to go through all the instructions you gave me again but it won't let me do anything at all now. I heldown the shift key and power off icon but all I get arethe options to

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It came up with an error message which I cancelled and tried to get back into the previous screen. It has now gone back to the log in screen. I feel extremely frustrated because you have been so helpful and we haven't got anywhere at all

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok Pat, what error did you get?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it just said that there was an error occurred so I have gone right back to the log in screen, followed the instructions again and am now back on the Reset this PC screen where it asks me to enter the recovery key to get going again.

To retrieve this key it tells me to go to the windows.microsoft.com/recoverykey which I did and they sent me that security code number and that's as far as I got. At the bottom of the screen it says Skip this drive but I won't try that unless you tell me to

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, the problem is it is asking you to verify the account, so you have to do this first Pat.
Can you verify it as it asks, then you can get the Key.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect
Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ID C92341D

596794-469766-170247-119856-230538-397705-663619-264000

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, not sure what you gave me Pat, but it is not what I needed.
I will repeat the instructions, can you carefully follow them please?
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've downloaded it and there are several installation options. which one do you want to click on

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The basic installation please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am getting more and more confused. It has come up with 2 sets od numbers which I entered into the private contact info box but it won't let me send it. It keeps returning to the previous numbers I gave you the long one I believe must be the recovery key

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you need to give me HERE the ID and Password *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are not going to believe this but while I was waiting I typed in that long number code and finally plucked up the courage to click continue. Hey presto it worked and it is currently resetting. So far it is 6% complete. However I still want to know if I can change the settings to my new outlook email address and finally ditch the old hotmail one which I no longer use.

Richard you have been an absolute star and I can't tall you how much I appreciate all your help. I will probably run into a few more problems in time and I hope I get someone like you to help, though I wouldn't mind betting you won't want me online again.

If you feel like you have been dealing with an absolute dipstick, I'm going to admit to you that I am a 77year old great grandmother able to use my PC without any problems at all. It's just this MIcrosoft Surface that has caused me a few grey hairs.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You have been doing great Pat! and yes of course I would love to work with you again. I have a lot of patience, you have to to do this job, and you did not test them in the slightest, really.
You can use your new outlook address, when it has finished setting up, then use this new address to register it.
Ill still be here so let me know how it goes please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You sound like a nice man. Right now I have to leave and get dinner for a very hungry husband. Not sure how much more I will be able to do this evening, but I am looking forward to getting started again from scratch. Will be in touch again possibly to let you know how things go. Will you still be available later on this evening.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
tomorrow is fine Pat, I will be on a little later tonight and also tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Talk to you tomorrow if I can.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
till then Pat