Russell H.
Russell H., Computer Support Tech
Experience:  Years of supporting users of Microsoft software
13568747

My wifes computer will not boot up. the messge says, a recent

Customer Question

My wifes computer will not boot up. the messge says, a recent hardwareor softwaremight be the cause.
file\windows\system.32\drivers\mfed.sys
status.oxc0000098
info windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing or or corrupt. the computer was fine two days ago.
Ihave tried running thewindows vista home premium but it does`nt even get as far as reading the disc
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I think that the best thing you can do in this circumstance is, first, to boot up into Safe Mode (if that is possible): Boot up into Safe Mode as follows:- from a powered-Off state, turn the computer On, and immediately press the F8 key, once or twice a second, until the text-only Safe Mode selection screen appears, with a highlight bar across it.- then using up and down arrow keys, move the highlight bar to Safe Mode, and press the RETURN (or, ENTER) key, once.- the computer will boot up in Safe Mode, a reduced mode of Windows with a less-detailed or colorless screen, into which you may log in, and do whatever operation you need. Then if that is possible, in the Safe Mode bootup, when you have logged in, you should do a System Restore: Go toStart - [All] Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restoreand choose to Restore system to a previous [etc.], then from the calendar-like interface, choose the first restore point *before* the problem started (in other words, , a Restore Point at least 3 days ago, but not over a week ago, I advise), then do the restoring. (Warning: it may help to first disconnect from the internet, then also disable - temporarily, i.e. turn Off - your anti-virus utility, since they can often interfere with the Restore operation completing successfully.... before doing a System Restore.) The computer will grind away for a while, then restart automatically, then grind away some more, and hopefully will come up with a message that the Restore operation was fully successful. And hopefully that will cure the problem. (PS: Do not choose to do a System Restore if you have recently installed any Microsoft software of any considerable cost. Its installation may be reversed, and you may lose money that way. Let me know if you think that's the case, and I will advise you further as to what to do.)