jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
63323962

I was victim of a scam yesterday by people posing as Microsoft

Customer Question

I was victim of a scam yesterday by people posing as Microsoft security advising there had been a lot of error messages from my computer and they wanted help me clean it up.
They were very plausible and took me through screens showing apparent errors and I believed it and the session went on for 3 - 4 hours and by the end they had my email details and Internet bank details and had tried to take two lots of money but my bank security managed to stop one and are trying to recover the first lot
I'm not sure what to do now to make my computer safe - what should I do next?
A
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  michelleclive replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you Before we begin, i would like to inform you that these days there are lot of scam calls that customers get from people posing a microsoft suggesting that their computer needs a clean up due to an infection or corruption on the PCThis is SCAM and please do not entertain such calls as Microsoft never calls customers on its own
However the good part on your end was that your bank managed to block the payment.Now as you mentioned that they remote accessed your PC for few hours, there is a possibility that they might have installed some unwanted malicious programs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess they probably have so what should I do now?
I will help you in ensuring that your PC is safe from infectionTo do so, i can remote connect to your pc and run a scan and remove anything that can cause harm
lets get started doing thisi will share a remote link with you ..give me a moment
click here for remote connectin the page that opens click on agree...then it will download and elsinore file..click on run\open optionit will ask for your permission to run\install itsay yes to it
let me know if you face any difficulty installing it
elsinore screen connect is a completely safe and secure tool and in case your antivirus asks for a permission please allow it to run
it seems you are offline as i have been waiting for your responsePlease let me know when you would like to continue so that i may assist you accordingly