Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Dell inspiron mini. 2008 windows xp. In use constantly since

Dell inspiron mini. 2008 windows xp. In use constantly since purchase 2008. Computer now says need to register/activate product key. I have tried online to activate, but help line says not possible, possibly due to pirated product. solution please.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Where exactly did you purchase the computer from?
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bought new from Dell, 2008. Has been working well considering the XP and age. [wife's computer]. Windows will not open because the requirement is to register/activate product. No key available. No positive support from microsoft register site.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, looks like someone has installed an illegal version of windows on it at one time or another or the operating system suffered a corruption.
Did you receive any disks with the computer when you first purchased it? And do you still have them with you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This was a Dell brand new product. Unlikely to have pirated XP installed. I have not been able to find the original disc containing the reg. code, hence my last ditch resort to your website. Otherwise I would have taken my computer to a local export to get a pirated copy to keep the old lady going for a while. The corruption you mentioned is the most likely explanation.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you would not need a reinstall, have you followed this yet if it is a legitimate copy then this is within your allowance to do
http://tinyurl.com/o5m5296
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am faced with the normal 2 tone blue screen after the screen indicating "windows is starting" message, the message that comes up is,- Windows Product Activation. This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate Windows now? Yes No.

Proceeding further without the activation code is not possible. Whilst I have been in contact with you, I have been also trying all manner of solutions, including administrator password ***** etc in safe mode. No matter what I do, I cannot get past this activation process. The web page that you have suggested, I have used before on my Win 7 computer that I am writing this on. No use if one cannot get the logon to start with. No solution I am afraid. I'm off to my local tech geek to get it sorted. No £24 this time. Sorry.TMN

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
When did this problem start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

4 hours ago.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
can you turn off the computer
turn it on and keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu.
Choose Last Known Good Configuration, let this complete and tell em if it now runs please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've tried that. I have the same negative result.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
then do following to reinstall from the hidden partition if it is on there
Turn on the computer, after the Dell logo press F8 key repeatedly until the Advanced Boot Options menu (Advanced Startup Options).
In Advanced Boot Options, highlight Repair Your Computer and press Enter.
Click Next and logon to the administrator account in the computer.
Click Dell DataSafe Restore and Emergency Backup and DataSafe Options.
Choose Restore without preserving new or changed file. Click Next to continue.
Choose Yes and click Next to continue.
Progress status will appear. Click Restart to initiate the restoration process.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The "Repair Your Computer" request is not an option given. Try again?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Then you do not have it on your hard drive, only option left is the disks that came with it or a windows disk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. so no solution. The problem is unsolved unless I can get the original disc. How do I give you a rating with no solution? Cry

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I can only do what is possible here, so once you get the disk either original or a windows disk, does not matter, then you can install it again.
Its my service your rating, I can only do here what is possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried safe mode and system restore as a last ditch attempt, but no luck. No need to reply. TMN