Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Yesterday morning my Outlook (2007) was working fine and downloaded

Yesterday morning my Outlook (2007) was working fine and downloaded 5 e-mails. Later in the day I pressed Send & Receive to refresh my e-mail account and the 'Receiving' message indicated that the account was receiving 12,402 emails of 1.38Gb of capacity. I only had approx. 10 e-mails waiting (according to my iphone).
I shut down the computer and tried again this morning - same thing.
I shut down again and travelled to London and am operating of a different wifi installation and again via Outlook the download being attempted is 12402 e-mails. If I access my e-mail account (*****@******.***) via the internet the download works fine and the 50 or so e-mails I have had to-day on my iphone have all landed on my btopenwold account, but still via Outlook the 'Receiving' message says over 12000 to be received. Clearly this would clog up the machine for ages so I cancel the send/receive.
How can I stop the Outlook doing this please?
Best
Peter Pentecost
+44 7734 298438
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Which version of windows are you using please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2007
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, thats your version of outlook, which I saw, I need to know the windows version please.
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect
Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Download in progress it says, but not much else happening!BestPeter P
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, should only take 1 minute to download, then you run the file.
Has it finished downloading?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - it looks like TeamViewer.exe couldn't be downloaded! What do I do now?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
what was the message you got when it failed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Exactly that 'TeamViewer.exe couldn't download'
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then there are other issues with the computer.
Can you restart the computer and try again to download it please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I retry I get 3 Found MalSign.Generic.E7C threat messages caught by AVG. I remove them all then get Download in progress with a bar that looks like something should be happening, but nothing does, so I click to download again and we go through the same routine! Help
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
then there are other issues with the computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done that - same!There hasn't been any issue with this Computer - it has performed perfectly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It now says that TeamViewer.exe might have been deleted!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks to me as though TeamViewer has some sort of malware on it and my AVG protection is kicking it out!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No it has no malware on it and AVG on my computer and my customers never has any problems with it.
But we try another program then.
Click this link
http://www.justanswer.co.uk/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=93b150af-4971-4b51-a912-b5b6501dd9c6
Click I Agree, then download and run this file please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't click the link in my PC only on my phone. Is that going to give you acres to my PC?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No you have to do it on your PC, I will give you a shorter link to use on the PC
http://tinyurl.com/omcfzux
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in the link - now what?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
what it says on the screen please, click I agree and run the file that is downloaded.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You make it sound so simple, but I'm in TinyURL which turns long URLs into shirt URLs - i don't have an 'I agree' on the screen or an option to 'download'
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you need to go to the entire address., not just a part of it.
http://tinyurl.com/omcfzux
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just routes me to the main TinyURL - Official site.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It does not sorry, it works, 100%
You need to type in the entire link
http://tinyurl.com/omcfzux
Or just come to justanswer.com on the computer and go to it please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard - I know you think you are dealing withy complete dunderhead at this end so thank you for your patience. I am in www.justanswer.com - how do I invoke the remote access please?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you click the link I am giving please
http://tinyurl.com/omcfzux
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard, the one thing I cannot do is access your emails on the Computer - I would have to wait for 12,402 emails to download first. So I am picking up your responses on my phone and then trying to apply your instructions on my computer! I have no means to click on the link you are giving me on my PC! I admin the Home page of just answer.com and there is nowhere for me to 'go tI' the link you are asking me to click on!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, not sure why we are having so many issues as this is normally done in a minute. You needed to enter in the address I gave you, it would not take you to tinyurl.
But you will have to do the instructions on the computer that I would have done, as there are no other options to connect, as that was the simplest one with the least amount of steps.
Please do the following on the computer.
Can you close outlook
Then Click start, computer
Then go to Program Files, Microsoft Office and run the file ScanPST
Once you have run it, click on Browse and click at the top of the browse window and type in %appdata%
Press enter
Then click on AppData and then click Local Folders, Microsoft, Outlook and choose the outlook.pst
Let it repair the file then restart the computer, open outlook and tell me if it still downloads all the emails please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's no ScanPST, so I'm running a full diagnostics from Microsoft Tools. No evidence of anything amiss. Have also run Macafee - clean! Have pressed send/receive and ....same problem now 12,421 emails downloading - 1.36 Gb
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you will have the ScanPST file if you have office 2007, it will be in the Office folder.
Where you see the programs for Microsoft Word, Outlook ect.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's where I am - all 2007, no ScanPST, so I look in Micrisoft Office Tools - no ScanPST, but the was diagnostics which I ran and nothing amiss. Any other suggestions please?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your in the wrong place as your looking in the start menu.
You needed to click Start, Computer.
Then under C Drive you see Program Files.
Then there the FOLDER Microsoft Office.
Not from the start menu please but first clicking Start, Then Computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Found ScanPST thanks. When I run it it asks for a file to run it on!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, that was part of the instructions, no problem I will again repeat them from the step your at now
click on Browse and click at the top of the browse window and type in %appdata%
Press enter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to go and catch a train. Will try again in 2 hours.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thank you,
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I won't be able to do this tonight - it'll have to be tomorrow. sorry