Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

I have laptop currently running windows 7 and am thinking of

I have laptop currently running windows 7 and am thinking of upgrading to Windows 10. Do applications migrate upwards eg MS Office 2010, MS Project 2003 and Noteworthy Composer 2; also are there any other pitfalls to watch out for?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. Both office and project should work in windows 10. Noteworthy may have some compatibility issues like this one:
https://blog.noteworthycomposer.com/info/windows-10-configuring-play-in-version-2-51a/
As for anything else if you have an antivirus uninstall it and if the laptop is a dell you may not want to upgrade at all. Windows 10 has a built in anti virus and others like Norton will cause you to get nothing but a flashing black screen when you update.
As for the laptop being a Dell if it is, Dell has not checked compatibility with any of their older devices and quite a few have not worked properly with 10. (Other brands seem to be ok) If you have a Dell search for it here:
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04
It will have a warning about windows 10 not being tested if it falls under the category. If you see that warning I do not suggest updating.
One last thing is some people think they have lost their favorites or bookmarks from internet explorer. This is not the case the new E you see in windows 10 is the edge browser. You would need to use the search box next to the start menu to open internet explorer. Everything will still be there both browsers just have a very similar logo.
If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Windows.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the Noteworthy link. The laptop is a Packard Bell EasyNote TM i3 370M processor. Is there a benefit to upgrading or am I just as well staying put? Will the 2 MS products mentioned earlier still work?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
The 2 Microsoft products should work yes. There are some improvements in windows 10 but if you like 7 you may want to stay with it. Windows 10 is basically a mix of 7 and 8. Check here for your model number:
http://www.packardbell.com/pb/en/GB/content/download
If there are no windows 10 drivers listed I would not update.