Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Is it true that I cannot make CONTACTS GROUPS in OUTLOOK 2016

Is it true that I cannot make CONTACTS GROUPS in OUTLOOK 2016 using my OUTLOOK.COM email address?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is***** what I can see, only basic contacts (not groups) can be exported from the Outlook.com e-mail service into Outlook 2016. Once you have imported them into Outlook 2016, you will need to manually create the groups out of those contacts. Does that work for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That sir was not my question.
I was not trying to export any contacts as windows10 keeps the People App. Online and populates it from the cloud.
I just want to send emails to groups of contacts, but find the groups in outlook 2016 is greyed out so that I cannot build new groups.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for clarification! Contact groups is a standard feature for all Outlook versions, including Outlook 2016. If you say sending e-mails to groups is not working, I can start remote desktop assistance to your computer and help you solve that problem. Let me if you would like that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot start even making groups, let alone sending.
I saw online somewhere that Microsoft was deliberately disabling outlook.com email addresses because of some EAS protocol.
does that mean I must get a gmail address to make my new outlook 2016 work properly?
Unbelievable!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Would you like me to remotely connect to your computer so that I can see the problem myself and help you solve the problem with Outlook contact groups?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you, ***** ***** not convinced that that is necessary.
Unfortunately I fear that I know more about the problem than you, as you appear not to have heard of it.
Perhaps you could asked your Microsoft contacts about it and make some suggestions on how to get around it?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
I will out-out and allow another Expert to continue helping you. Regards,IT Miro
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Is this outlook 2016 for Mac or windows?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****
The problem is with Outlook 2016 for Windows 10.
The Contact Groups section is greyed out and thus unusable. By Googling the problem I find that this is a known problem with Outlook when it is being used by outlook.com email.
My question is, what can I do about it?
(a) Get a non Microsoft email address, or download some sort of fix?
(b) I understand that Microsoft says the problem is the" EAS protocol", but what are they doing about it?
Having just spent a fortune buying Office 2016, I am very annoyed to find yet another Microsoft f**kup.
James Heys=Limonard.
Regrettably neither of my computers can find your web site from the View or send buttons
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks and yes its the EAS service.
They are migrating the service to an Exchange server at the end of the year which will resolve this, until then your only option would be to use a non microsoft Account
This is the only fix (a non MS account or waiting until years end).
But you can for example use a Gmail account for free and can create one here
https://accounts.google.com/SignUp
You know though when your account has been moved to an exchange server as it will say Preview when you sign in at outlook.com
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues