IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

My wife and I are both users on the computer, although I still

My wife and I are both users on the computer, although I still have the start menu, it has disappeared from my wife's start up. the icon is there but she has to right click on it to get a menu. Can you help.please?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is***** tell me if Windows 10 is installed on your computer or another Windows version. Also, do you know when the problem first started to occur? Thanks,IT Miro
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes we have Windows 10 updated from Windows 8. The problem occurred about 2weeks ago.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information! This is a known bug that could happen for some users after upgrading to Windows 10. For that reason, Microsoft has released an update that fixes it. Please open the Windows Update and look for new updates. Here is how to do it: 1. Log on to your account (where the Start Menu is working)2. Click on the Windows logo located in the bottom left corner and click on Settings3. When the Settings window opens, click on the last option - Update & security4. Click on Windows Update. Windows should then look for new updates and automatically start downloading them. If that doesn't happen, click on the "Retry" or "Check for updates" button5. Wait until all the updates have been installed6. After that, restart the computer and log on with your wife's account and check if the Start Menu is there Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 7 upgrades but the first one is upgrade to Windows 10 home version 1511, 10586 and underneath is says error. They started to install but never got past 5%
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Please restart the computer and try again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This time it did not start to install although I have automatic install selected. I am trying again
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
It is possible that the updates have been downloaded in the background; however, to fully install them, you will need to either restart or shut down the computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will leave the computer on for a while and then shut it off overnight. Can I contact you tomorrow or is my money used up?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. You can connect with me tomorrow or any other time when you are available. You don't need to pay again. Just come back to this same page and send me a message. I will respond to you as soon as possible. In case the updates don't fix the problem, I can suggest you something else. Regards,IT Miro
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you and goodnight
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Good night as well!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good day, the updates did download except one which is "office XP service pack" this comes up as error 0x800096004. I have clicked retry several times but it fails each time can this be removed? referring to my original problem I can report that we do have a start menu of sorts now in my wifes account,. It is not the new start menu for windows 10 but a hybrid form, the tiles appear as in the window 8 format across the screen and not enclosed in a box and we have two icons, one for all apps and one for power. Is there anything I can do to reset this?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It looks like the new Windows updates partially solved the problem. Since you don't have a fully functional Windows 10 start menu yet, please do the following:
1. Sign in to your wife's account
2. Click inside the "Search the web and Windows" search box and type powershell
3. See the search results. The first one should be Windows PowerShell. Right-click it and select Run as administrator. Confirm by clicking Yes if asked to continue
4. The blue window will appear. It is similar to the standard Command Prompt. You will need to run this command there:
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
To do that, select the entire command with the mouse and copy it. To paste it, first click anywhere inside the PowerShell window, and then press the Ctrl and V keys on the keyboard at the same time. It is the shortcut for Paste.
5. You should then see the command pasted, so just press Enter
6. The Deployment operation progress should then be displayed. If not, just press Enter again, or make sure that you have copied and pasted the command correctly
7. Wait until the operation has been finished. When done, you will see some text in red and the the PS C:\Windows\system32> prompt below
8. You can then restart the computer and check if the start menu is fully working.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I have run through that procedure and everything seemed to go as you said, it ended with the PS C:\Windows\32> prompt. But we still have all the components of the start menu but not all in one box. There were 3 options of Windows PowerShell, I clicked on the first one which was Windows PowerShell86.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
In that case, please run the automated batch file that will add the necessary information into the Windows Registry and restart the Windows Explorer afterwards.
First, download the file on this link:
http://tinyurl.com/nfhqla9
It is a zip file containing the batch file. You will need to extract it from the zip file and place it into any folder on your computer. After that, make sure you have signed in to your wife's account, and right-click the extracted batch file (Windows 10 start menu fix.cmd) and select Run as administrator. Confirm when asked.
When the operation completes, check if the Start menu is fully working.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi IT Milo, Sorry I could not continue yesterday. I have tried to do what you suggest. I forwarded the email to my wife and then opened it up in her account. I clicked on the link and downloaded the zip file. I copied this into my documents. .I then via powershell opened run as administrator. I then got a blue box screen I tried to copy into the box but could not, so I opened up my documents and selected run by right clicking. I restarted the computer but it is just the same, so I obviously have not run it properly.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello again! It looks like none of the suggested solutions completely solved the problem with the start menu. It is possible that your wife's account contain corrupted settings, so I suggest to create a new user account and check if how the start menu works there. Here are the instructions:1. Click on the Windows Start button located in the bottom left corner, and then click on Settings2. At the Settings window, click on Accounts3. Click on Family & other users4. Click on + Add someone else to this PC5. When a new window opens, click on I don't have this person's sign-in information located at the bottom6. On the next screen, click on Add a user without a Microsoft account7. You will then be able to type a name of the new account and password (optional)8. Click Next to create the account9. Once the account has been created, it will appear under "Other users". Click on it and then click on Change account type10. Click on the drop-down box (where it says Standard User) and select Administrator, and click OK to confirmYour new account is now ready to be used, so log out of your current account and log in to the newly created account. You can simply restart the computer and you will be taken to the logon screen where you can choose your newly created account. Test the start menu there, and if it works fine, my suggestion is to use that new account as your wife's account. You can then transfer all the documents from the original wife's account to this new account, and delete the original wife's account.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi ITMilo, I did as you suggested and the start menu for the new account is fine. Can you advise me the best way to transfer the files from her present account to the new one?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Good. It means only the original wife's account seems to be corrupted. For that reason, you can continue to use a newly created account as your wife's account. To transfer the files, you should be able to use any account, as long as it has administrator privileges. That will allow you to access the files stored on all accounts. The personal files you need to transfer are located in this location:C:\Users\[name of the original wife's account] You will see several folders there. The most important ones are:- Desktop- Documents- Music- Pictures- Videos You can copy the contents from those folders from the location of the original wife's account to the location of the new account. For example, if the original wife's account is named Mary, and the new account is named Mary2, you need to accessC:\Users\Mary and copy (move) the folders toC:\Users\Mary2 Once you have done that, log in to the new wife' account and check if all the files are accessible as before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi ITMilo
I seem to have transferred the files to the new account successfully. Thank you. Can you now tell me the correct way to remove the corrupted account safely.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello again! I am glad you could transfer the files successfully! Make sure you have transferred them all, since any file you forgot to transfer will be lost after removing the account. Here are the instructions on how to remove a corrupted account: 1. Sign out of the account you want to remove, and sign in to another account with administrative privileges2. Click on the Windows Start button located in the bottom left corner, and then click on Settings3. At the Settings window, click on Accounts4. Click on Family & other users5. You should see all account listed. Locate the account you want to remove, click it and then click Remove6. Confirm the removal by clicking Delete account and data7. The account will then be removed along with all the data associated to it
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI IT MIro
All is completed, we now have two accounts running properly. Thank you for your help, I am only a computer user not an expert but you guided me through all procedures in lay man's terms. Brilliant, you certainly get 5 stars.