IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Have upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 ( the free version) but

have upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 ( the free version) but I have not been asked "what I wish to keep".....version 10 seems to have been installed but I cannot find any settings, files , contacts etc. Can you assist please
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is***** upgrading to Windows 10 from a previous version of Windows, all the files and settings are migrated. So, nothing is lost. Let me know what seems to be missing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I look on the desktop "my PC" I can see the various files but they are all empty. No documents or photos, no downloads. what am I not doing?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Please click on the Windows Start button located in the bottom left corner and then click on File Explorer. You can then see several folders at the top:- Desktop- Downloads- Documentsetc Your files should be stored there, so make sure to check all the folders.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have followed your instruction without success Documents downloads and pictures are showing pins but when opening it says they are empty. Desktop is showing my security system Bullguard. Music and videos I do not use.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
In that case, please look into another location. Open the File Explorer and click on "This PC" on the left. Now double-click the Local Disk (C:), and then on Users. Check the folders there and the contents inside those folders. Your files should be inside one of them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Making some progress.Ihave done as above and found some links to documents - haven't managed to open them all yet. I have to leave it for now. Thanks so far TS
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Yes, your files should be in one of the folders. Once you have found them all, you can move them to the original folders, for example to Documents, etc.
Let me know if I can help you further.
Regards,
IT Miro