Viet -MS Office Tech
Viet -MS Office Tech, Other
Experience:  Ten years of computer hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac; Microsoft Office, etc.
30037186

I have a few files in my documents on my XP which I am trying

Customer Question

I have a few files in my documents on my XP which I am trying to transfer to my laptop Win 8.1 via Lexar memory stick which is a 16GB Jumpdrive V10 Hi-Speed USB. I have transferred them to my stick but cannot open them from it. They have transferred OK to the laptop but I cannot open them there either. An instruction comes up saying open file and search for it using this dialogue box [C:\users\admin\...\Addresses List A-E doc.] and that the document name or path is not valid. I can't understand this. On both the stick and laptop the files are described as Short Cut. The XP has Microsoft Office Home & Student 2003 and the laptop has the 2010 version. Has this got anything to do with it? I would appreciate your help.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Viet -MS Office Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I'm sorry about the issue. Are you currently able to open those documents fine on the Windows XP computer?Did you transfer from the original document files (not transferring the shortcut files)?Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?Please reply at the box below. Thank you,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they do open on XP. The XP is currently at the Computer Hardware shop [doesn't give software help] and they let me transfer the files on to memory stick. They were the original document files and I thought that was what I was transferring. Maybe difficult to do a remote session in the circumstances. What do you think?
Does this happen to all files? If you just copy one file to a folder or on the Desktop on the windows 8.1 laptop, does it open?Can I connect remotely to your Windows 8.1 laptop and troubleshoot? Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 8.1 is a replacement for the XP which I am going to destroy eventually when problem sorted.
I will try just with one file and let you know.
Oh OK, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I view files on stick at the top under Manage it says shortcut but I don't know what that indicates. Is their another method of transferring the file?.
You just right-click on a document file on the stick drive, then click on Copy. Then right-click on a folder in the computer, then click on Paste, then open it there. Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it essential to paste into a folder rather than my documents?
No, it is not. My Documents is considered a folder itself. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When trying with a single file the same message comes up as described in initial question, i.e. when right clicking file. When I originally transferred from stick to 8.1 they transferred OK via rightclick, copy, rightclick paste, but now I can't even do that. I don't think that is because I have already transferred them to my documents. I don't feel I am getting anywhere with this.
I'm sorry; I'm not sure if they transferred your files correctly to the stick. But can I connect remotely to your laptop and check? Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please keep this conversation live for the next couple of days and I will get in touch again later. Cannot do it now.Thank You.
You're welcome. OK. Please get back to me any time you are available to continue. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apols for delay. Have medical emergency. Will continue asap
No problem. Our system sends automatic email reminder everyday; you can ignore it until you are ready to continue. Take care! Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. I wish to close this conversation now.
You're welcome. OK. If you need help with any computer issue in the future, please come back any time. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service at the top of this page, then click on Submit. Thank you very much.