Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

I have been using Microsoft Office (particularly WORD) ever

Customer Question

I have been using Microsoft Office (particularly WORD) ever since it started. I am at the moment working with Office 2007 Pro and as I am a writer, have some 2,000,000 words + in docx documents. I am thinking of upgrading to Office 2016. 1) will my docs transfer successfully? I use all the features + macros. 2) Very importantly: I use 'spellchecker' (normal.dot) to put on 700 codes which work as a shorthand program, so I rarely have to type more than 2-3 letters to produce all everyday words/SENTENCES (700+ of them!). For example 'gwh' puts in my name, address, phone and email as soon as I put in a space. As you can imagine this speeds up my typing ENORMOUSLY! I do not want to enter them all again, so will I be able to replace normal.dot with my version of it, as I have done each time I have upgraded till now?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. If you use Normal.dot I do not suggest upgrading office. The new version of office is a cloud program. Both 2013 and 2016 use Normal.dotm instead of just .dot. If you do decide to update rename your Normal.dot to something like Macros.dotm and put it in the startup folder for the newer version of office. That should make it a template but some of the Macros may need to be reconfigured. It is impossible to say which without trying it. If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Office.