Viet -MS Office Tech
Viet -MS Office Tech, Other
Experience:  Ten years of computer hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac; Microsoft Office, etc.
30037186

I can't connect to Internet on my laptop with new Microsoft

I can't connect to Internet on my laptop with new Microsoft 10 but the wifi is working on other devices I have been told some fechnical help is required
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Viet -MS Office Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I'm sorry about the issue. What's the model of your Windows 10 laptop?Was it working previously? When did this issue first occurred? Or is this a new laptop?What is the error or message when connecting the Windows 10 laptop to your Wi-Fi/wireless network name?What is the model of your Internet/wireless modem/router device?Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dell laptop and it was working previously
It is. BT Home hub5
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Error message was problem with modem
Thank you. So you go to Start -> Settings -> Network & Internet, and select / connect to your wi-fi/wireless network name, it gives error message problem with modem.When was Wi-Fi / wireless last working on your Dell Windows 10 laptop?Have you tried to disconnect the power cord from the BT Homehub 5 modem device for a few minutes, then re-connect, then wait a bit, and check?Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
I do live online support. Can I provide you written instructions there? Or if you have an extra Ethernet/network cable, you can connect it from the Dell windows 10 laptop to the BT Homehub 5 modem temporarily, then you would get internet access on the dell laptop, then I can connect remotely to your laptop and fix. Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What colour should ethnic cable be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only cable I have is orange
It can be any color; please see the image below:http://www.omnisecu.com/images/basic-networking/twisted-pair-ethernet-cable.jpgThank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No cable available in that case sorry .? Next step
Sorry. Can you please tell me if you have done this:- Disconnect the power cord from the BT Homehub 5 modem device for a few minutes, then re-connect, then wait a bit, then shutdown/restart the Dell windows laptop, and check?Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried shut down the computer but not the home hub
Shall I continue with that
Yes, please try that now: Disconnect the power cord from the BT Homehub 5 modem device for a few minutes, then re-connect, then wait a bit, then see if you can connect the Dell windows 10 laptop to your wi-fi/wireless network name. Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have lost contact with you
I'm still here. Please keep this web page open. How is it going? Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried switching off as you suggested but still no succes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no joy the screen says there is a modem error
Sorry, on the Dell windows 10 laptop, press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type rstrui then click OK, then click on Next; if needed, click on the box Show more restore points at bottom left, then restore the computer to any date before this issue first occurred, and check.Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a page which is confirm your restore point but not sure what to do next
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I press finish key?
At the System Restore window, you click on a date before this issue first occurred, then click on Next, and finish, thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry where do Iclick on date it doesn't give me that option
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A system restore programme is working?
1. Press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type rstrui then click OK, then click on Next2. Click on the box Show more restore points at bottom left3. It should give you a list of date(s) right?
Something similar like below:https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/71/Vista_System_Restore.pngPlease let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is now restoring files and settings is that correct
That is correct. Please wait until it finish, then let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's still restoring files and settings how long should this take?
It usually takes about 15 to 30 minutes, thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Get back to you as soon as complete
You're welcome. OK. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All complete but still no internet connection
What next?
Sorry, does it still say there is a modem error?Please try:- Press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type devmgmt.msc then click OK,, then double-click on the item Network adapters in order to open / expand it, then and right-click on each of the item(s) under it and click on Uninstall and confirm (but don't check the box to delete the driver if shown), then restart the computer, and it will automatically reinstall, then see if you can connect to your wi-fi/wireless network name.Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the modem has reported an error I shall continue with your instructions
OK, please continue my my instructions, thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am now in network settings again I wonder whether I am doing the right thing at this stage?
Did you uninstall the item(s) below Network adapters in Device Manager, and restarted the computer yet? Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes did that
Now, click on Start, then click on Settings, then click on Network & Internet, then it should show your wireless network name, then click on your network name, and connect, then let me know what happens. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no joy
Which start button
I am in network and Internet but no sign of my network and the wifi key shows off
Does it show option to turn on Wi-Fi and turn off Airplane mode?Can you please check at the back/bottom of your Dell laptop for the exact model of it?Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it does show turn on. Wifi and airplane and dat usage etc
It's is an Inspiron1750
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Airplane mode is off and when I click wifi button it stays on off
Does it currently show On or Off under Wi-Fi? Thank you.
Click on Airplane mode on the left, then make sure it shows Off at the top, then make sure Wireless Network Connection is showing On. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It shows off on Wifi
Airplane is off
Where is wireless network connections?
Or Wireless devices Wi-Fi On:http://thewindowsclub.thewindowsclubco.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Airplane-Mode-in-Windows-10-2.pnghttp://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/290/c04771009.jpgPlease let me know. Thank you.
Can you please press at the same time the two keys Fn and F2 on the laptop's keyboard in order to enable / disable the wireless, and see if it sees your wireless network name now? Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Confirm that airplane mode is OFF and WIFI button will not move from off to on
I can see F2 where is Fn
Fn key is located near the bottom left of the keyboard. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry found it still no success though
When you press at the same time the two keys Fn and F2, what happens? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing
Try keys Fn and F2 again, and see if it turns on Wi-Fi or not. If needed, try again and check.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing happened except the icon bottom right says not connected connections are available,e
Click on bottom right icon, then does it show your wireless network name now? Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it says wifi turned off and if I press the broadband connection eating above that I gat a sign in page asking for a user name and password ***** next?
Sorry, how old is the laptop? Is it still under warranty or not? Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will not be under warranty but it was working perfectly well before and after I installed Microsoft 10
Do you happen to have a USB wireless adapter? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does it look like but unlikely I would think
Like these:https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+wireless+adapter&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=939&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjHk-C719PJAhUM0WMKHQ5IDkMQ_AUIBygCThank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I think I have one
Great. What's the brand/model of it? Do you have the driver/software CD disk for it? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it's a Kyocera card reader I think
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be easier to reinstall Microsoft Windows 7
I'm sorry. When did you install Windows 10? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don not have a disc for it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 2 weeks ago
Please try this: Click on Start -> Settings -> Update & security -> Recovery, and then there, you can select the option to go back to your previous Windows version, and check. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I be able to go straight ahead now or shall I keep you informed
Please start the process to go back to your previous Windows version, and let it finish, once done, then connect to your wi-fi/wireless network name and check; (if needed, press and same time the two keys Fn and F2 key again to turn on /off wireless, and connect.)- By the way, if the wireless still does not work, you can get a USB wireless adapter from your local computer store for about £10, and install / connect it to the laptop, then you will get wireless working again.You can get back to me any time as needed. Thank you.