Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I've just hung up from speaking to a Microsoft person (from

I've just hung up from speaking to a Microsoft person (from the voice, probably in India) who couldn't help[ but suggested I use this method to get help. In the 90's we downloaded Skype in the US and have used it in UK as well. It automatically is logged in when we turn on our computer in the morning. However, about a week ago, we were asked for a password ***** have forgotten it so can't access Skype. I have filled out forms twice with the result but apparently not well enough to get a new password. Have also tried just getting a new account but no luck there either. We're OAP's so please don't get too technical with any replies but would appreciate some help.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Sorry to hear about the problem you are having.
Just to be sure, have you tried to reset your password ***** my link below?
https://login.skype.com/recovery
Is this where you tried to reset the password?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was where I started out. Then when to a submitted question that came back with a computer generated reply with a questionnaire attached. When thru this process twice but no success.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Then you will need to make a new account. Its why its critical to always keep your recovery information up to date.
Are you able to create an account via my link below?
https://login.skype.com/join
Tell me what happens when you do this please.
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had a bad experience by giving someone remote access to my computer and am uncomfortable about ever doing it again. Do I assume this means that I can't ever gain access to my existing account and will have to create a new account? I have gone thru the steps to set up a new account but my Norton anti-virus says my computer is at risk of damage by downloading the software and I'm hesitant to continue.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I can understand your hesitation and its good you have it.
But I am only interested in solving this (which I would) and I have been here on this site 6 years doing this, so any problems and I would be easy to find (plus you see and control everything I do).
But of course its your decision.
When you create an account there is nothing to download when using my link.
Use my link I gave, create the account and tell me exactly what happens please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did use the link you gave me and got to a download stop and that's when the Norton alert appeared on my screen.Is this a problem that my computer store could help me with?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, its only a link to a web page so looks like an issue with Norton.
A computer store could help, but so could I, you take less risk with me (as your still in control and can disconnect me whenever you wish as opposed to a technician) plus I am a lot lot cheaper.
If I remote to your computer, I guarantee everything resolved and nothing detrimental happens to your computer.
I could not be here for so long if I did the wrong thing during a remote control.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just tried logging on to SKype from our old software using the new account information and it has let me in. Unfortunately, this now means contacting all of our family and friends overseas to set up connections again but at least we can talk to family on Christmas Day. Thanks for the link that allowed me to do this. I just hope after I close out of this that I haven't done something wrong and will still have access to the account.I'm sorry I couldn't be more trustful about granting remote access but our last experience was traumatic with police and national anti-fraud involvement and I will do anything to keep that from happening again. Many thanks for your help and Merry Christmas.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its ok, main thing is we got it fixed.
And any problems after closing this, just return here and let me know, this is no problem at all.
If you need anything else, please let me know.
And please remember to rate my service by clicking on one of the smiley faces then clicking submit so I am credited.
Thanks and a merry christmas!